1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

DANGERS of working with Strong PEROXIDE .. a read and learn article

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Sea Wolf, Jan 11, 2009.

1. AH7

AH7 New Member

40 Volume is NOT 40%. Ain't no beauty supply company selling 40% peroxide until "seared" hair and scalp becomes the new fad!

BearBonz likes this.
  2. Rob43

Rob43 Member

Just going by what is on the bottle. Yes, I believe it's 40% volume. But, if I'm not mistaken ( and I may be , LOL ), I believe that is what everyone else is going by as well.

3. Peroxide at beauty shop suppliers is sold by volume, not percent. The volume measurement is the amount of oxygen contained in the peroxide. 1 quart of 40 volume peroxide can release 40 quarts of oxygen. Here is a quick chart for converting volume to percent:
    10 volume = 3% hydrogen peroxide
    20 volume = 6% hydrogen peroxide
    30 volume = 9% hydrogen peroxide
    40 volume = 12% hydrogen peroxide

4. Guess I would be using roughly 40 volume then when cutting 30% in half with water.

5. Rob43

Rob43 Member

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

6. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Thanks for posting this valuable information!!! I have never use peroxide that strong, only the 40 volume type.

I use it a little different than everyone, after I have the bugs finish with removing the tissue, I use a solution of Dawn dish soap with a little antibacterial dish soap for 3-4 days, changing the water every day until the water comes back clear. I do not leave my skulls soaking in solution, I paint the 40 volume onto the skull, then put it in the sun for about 2-4 hours. One thing that I haven't done is rinse them off before I mount them on a plaque.

I get a very white skull that has not odors and looks good without having to re-stain the antlers where the peroxide bleached them out.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this forum, the information and experiences of everyone should be read and heeded.... one thing I learned in the fire service is "learn from others so you don't become a lesson someone else will read about".

Wyatt

7. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Posted 7 years ago, and 2 months if you want to get technical.. ;)

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Thanks Cyclone. There is a lot of info on this site and things can get easily lost.

9. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Thanks cyclone!!! You took a lot of time to find and figure this out.... I will use this information in the future.

Also thanks to everyone, for adding all the experiences you have had using peroxide for whitening. This has been one post that I have enjoyed participating in.
    One thing that I need to start doing is wearing my safety glasses & gloves when working with peroxide.

I have been in the business for about 2 years, and continue to learn from all you guys that have been in the business for years.....

I want to thank you all for your willingness to share with all.

Wyatt

10. We use it at work for sterilizing surgical instruments and scopes. It is 59% and flashed into vapor after being run through a heated vaporizing cylinder. Very brutal chemical. Must be respected.

11. freshinitup

freshinitup New Member

I need some hydrogen peroxide where can I get it local

12. Sea Wolf

Drug store or supermarket for 3% (ok). Hair salon supply places like Sally's for 12% or 40 VOL (better and good). Pool and spa supply places for 27% (best but bordering on dangerous).

13. bonz66

bonz66 New Member

comment on the article on page 1. around here 29% is the strongest avail to the public, any more you need to be qualified with permits and should have known better by being qualified. last i looked 35% was strongest for usa, not sure how he got 50% and no permits to begin with

14. Wow!!! Sure makes you think twice. I have heard do not use metal with peroxide!!

15. Sea Wolf

High grade stainless can be used momentarily. For tongs best to use plastic or rubber coated. All you need is a speck of rust or metal to kick off that reaction. The metal is only a catalyst. After everything is gone, the speck of metal is still there, unchanged. A few forum members have found that a bullet fragment in a skull will do the same thing as will adding water to peroxide to dilute it and that water has a high iron content. I've watched 35% start a fire when spilled on wood so it pays to be careful.

BearBonz and Megan :) like this.
  16. Megan :)

Megan :) Well-Known Member

I still share this story with everyone I can. Glad to see people are still coming here.

msestak likes this.
  17. Can a porcelain pot be ok to simmer only for skulls 10-15 mins?

18. Sea Wolf

You can use any pot for simmering. Aluminum might be a poor choice if you are adding sal soda. Porcelain will be fine as it is lined with a non metal surface. If you are talking about simmering in peroxide? You had better make darned sure that there are no cracks. As porcelain often has cracks and chips and the result of that could be explosive, I would say no.

If you are referencing the above article, that person was NOT simmering skulls in peroxide. Only soaking them in it. Simmering skulls in peroxide is just wasting it.

19. Ok

20. Ok Thankyou. Was told by someone that they simmer in peroxide , just to steam starts then add skull for 10 mins , I usually cut my wit water n soak over night or make a paste,thanks