1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

DANGERS of working with Strong PEROXIDE .. a read and learn article

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Sea Wolf, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

What strength peroxide are you using? If the skull is free of grease, just submerge it without simmering. Let it sit overnight at least. If you get it into the right sort of container (like a shoebox), you can cover the skull with peroxide almost up to the antler burrs. Cover the rest of the top of the skull with white paper towels and get them under the burrs but not touching where the color starts. Keep that wet with peroxide and the whole skull will be whitened and you will not have to be retouching the antlers. Done properly, with heat, pasting can also work great and uses a minimal amount of peroxide. You get to keep using what you have for a long time.

2. I'm using 35% , made a paste tonight n did 4 deer skulls up , I usually let sit on side table for 20 hrs then rinse hot water n let dry .

3. 1tahr

1tahr Active Member

sorry for jumping in late, I have 25 litres 50% hydrogen peroxide, I want to dilute it , is tap water suitable , how much should I dilute it , I will wear appropriate safety gear

4. Sea Wolf

You need to be using distilled water. Any iron content in tap water will start a thermal reaction you can't stop. As for the dilution, you need to decide how strong you want it and do the math. A strength of 27% is more than enough for whitening with bone. 12% will also be fine.

5. HuntMaine

HuntMaine New Member

What happens with this reaction you mentioned, Sea Wolf?

6. Sea Wolf

Read the article at the beginning of this post. Iron in any form and peroxide do not mix.

msestak likes this.
  7. HuntMaine

HuntMaine New Member

Ahhh duhhhhhh!!! Ooops!

msestak likes this.
  8. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

why do the words "Here, hold my beer" come to mind :)

9. Sea Wolf

LOL. But, until someone, some time ago, posted on here that they got that reaction from using water that had a high iron content I would not have thought of that. That is a great thing about this forum. You can learn things from others.

Megan :) and msestak like this.
  10. msestak

100% in agreement. its a great source of help.

11. HuntMaine

HuntMaine New Member

I read that arcticle awhile back when i first joined here, but never thought anything of iron in water! We have iron in our well water and I have mixed it with some super strong peroxide I get at my work.. Probably be the last time I do that!

msestak likes this.
  12. msestak

all kinds of things we dont think about that can cause serious chemical reactions