1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Study live whitetails with Bill Yox

Discussion in 'Training' started by Bill Yox, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I have had more inquires on my whitetail workshops this year then I ever have in the past! While Im not sure how Ill schedule those three and five day classes just yet, I have started offering a one day live deer study. I have had really good response on that this late summer and fall. I had to stop for obvious reasons during the rut, but due to the antlers shedding early this season, I am offering the following class. With the cold weather, Im offering half day classes out in the deer pen, to measure, feel and photograph some bucks. A half day of say 4 hours in that cold ought to be just about enough to study these critters while they look like the deer we mount in a breeding season, yet not too long to freeze our "ruts" off. ;) The cost? A mere $250. Heck you can spend that in reference pics and still not get all of what you want. And Ill pay for lunch afterward. Ill be offering this half day class now through the end of March, so if you have any interest in this, I might suggest getting in touch with me real soon. You can reach me in here through the message system, my email, [email protected], or call me @ 585-637-2450. Ill give you the rest of the details and directions. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Hey Bill do we get to take one home? LOL I wish you the best of luck with this endever there Mr. Bill.

3. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Well worth ever penny! There is no one who could ever say that Bill isn't the top in the Field of Deer knowledge and all thing fur for that matter! I know first hand and so do many of the anglers Artistry family members how valuable even a conversation is with Bill.

My Best!

Rick Krane

4. Bill Yox

Thanks Rick...does that mean Im family too???

5. Bill, What a great idea!! Bring your camera...I'll buy lunch! How many head in the heard now?? 20 +?? As for part of the family??? I hope that was a rehtorical question.Dont forget to schedule a couple days of goof of time for fishing w/ Rick and I. Mountain Ed

6. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

If I was comfortable enough driving that far alone, I would take a road trip up there to do this. That's very reasonable and I bet well worth the cost.

7. RDA

RDA Active Member

Im sure Bill would just LOVE to have you there!!!!! ;D ;D

8. Bill Yox

Nina, arent you about 3 hours from me, near Erie? Get your butt up here, young lady! Lol. Yes, seeing the deer now while they look like what we mount is pretty helpful. Studying them in the summer is good for seeing anatomy, too, but a buck in the rut is our ultimate subject.

9. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

Wow! I might have to make the trip

10. Bill Yox

Ron, you devil, I have a daughter her age! Actually, she also likes drawing, and they have other similarities too. Id love to see Nina continue with taxidermy!

11. Nive photos .... soooooooo, i was wondering if i could have that bucks sheds

12. Bill Yox

Go do your homework!

13. No homeworks !!!! Couldn't blame me for trying. hey ill trade you some hog skulls for em !!!!!!

14. Bill Yox

No hog skulls now get to that homework before I ban you from the forums tonight, lol. Grades first, then play on the internet.

15. thats a negative ..lol no homework .. just have to memorize 4 different breed of cattle for Ag , but got that covered easily

Watusi
    red angus
    angus
    the american Brahman
    grey Brahman
    red Brahman
    short horned
    Scotch highlander
    and the types of cattle Zebu's , british, and exotic's

16. Bill Yox

To clarify, based on the questions Ive received yesterday and today...

Yes, we will be inside the pens with these bucks. The bucks with antlers are still available for us to photograph, but they are in another pen we cannot go into. The shed out bucks are still tame, and still looking like the fall/winter bucks we mount. I will be in there with you, talking anatomy and pose and all that good stuff, plus maybe some forum jack too. Ok, that part was a joke ok? We will get plenty of time to watch them chew a cud, flehmen posture (ask MichaelP how we get the bucks to do this) oh, and girls, dont ask. The membrane colors, hair patterns, all that is important for the seasonal look is there. You can photograph and video, whatever suits you best. I suggest setting the camera down and taking time to feel with your hands, too. Those hands are your best shop tools, so make sure to teach them too. It will be right about four hours in the pen, plus some review in the (warm) studio. All the goobers and raisinettes you find on the snow are yours to keep for souvenirs to send to friends. Ill do these classes till about the end of March. After that it starts getting muddy, and I must clean up the winters mess and get ready for fawn season. Thanks again for asking!

17. any studying live with bill Yox in the summer as well ??? ill be up my way there this summer if there is .

18. Bill Yox

Brush, Ill need to see your report card in June first before I decide!

19. sure thing, I'm taking all Pre-AP classes (pre- advanced placement ) .. nothing but A's and a 1 or 2 b's every 6 th week except for Geometry.

20. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

Bill, I am thinking a live reference seminar at our Michigan convention. How's that for an idea, hmmmm?