1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wrapping squirrel bodies question

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by LionHeart, Jan 13, 2009.

1. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

When you guys wrap squirrels bodies, what do you do for the heads? Do you wrap them, carve them, buy them? I have tried wrapping the head but it doesn't look good, actually, the ones I have try on looks very bad ::) so I carved a couple for fun.

I have a bunch of red squirrels to practice on with my daughters, we have 1 full size form and will wrap the bodies for the other ones, and for the head, I was tinking to use these I have carved from foam.

What do you guys use as a head when using wrapped bodies? Are you using and rebuilding the real skull?

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

i used to use the real skull back in the day. :eek: .but nowadays i carve' em outta foam.. 8) ;)

3. use the skull off the squirrel, clean it, clay it, put wire in it togo in body and clay on body in neck area, good luck

4. ShedEgo

ShedEgo New Member

haha you've practiced thats for sure! ....have you tried one yet? im curious how well the foam holds the tucked lips

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Henry Wichers Inchemuk recommends carving it out of balsa wood.

6. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

I used to carve them out of balsa.These days I make a quick cast of the skinned out head with the meat still on,sculpt the lips,nose etc on that and mold it.I did a tutorial on that awhile back.it may be in the tutorial section.It is especially good if you have several to do.

7. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

Don't know if they are strong enough, the foam is not as hard as the form I bought but will see on the weekend. Hope they do the trick :).

Balsa... good idea , it's light and easy to work with, will have to try it. Thanks George

Jim B, I found the tutorial you made about it, EXCELLENT 8). Don't know how I missed that one ???, great idea.

Thanks a lot guys

8. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Balsa is a little tricky to carve because of grain.Like any wood,you have to be careful which direction your knife goes.It isnt to hard to slip and pop off a piece,like a whisker bed or some other raised area.Once you learn how to deal wth the grain,however,there is nothing nicer to pin into than balsa.It is a good idea to seal it with shellac,before mounting.