1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Too cold to wet tan...need dry tan alternative

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by elkhunter1313, Jan 13, 2009.

1. OK guys...it is getting below freezing here and too cold to wet tan in my shop ...so i am reaching out to all you dry tanners and asking what you favorite dry tanning product is...and how large an animal have you used it on successfully?

2. Oldshaver...trust me no matter how much salt....the liquid part is freezing...it gets icy with the salt at the bottom...even when i agitate it it turns mushy...i have the proper amount of salt but the frustrating thing is how the ice will coat on the skin whichever side i turn out and even agitating and turning once per day...still gets icy.

So what i am proposing is to try a dry tanning method as an alternate....

3. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

You might try heat?

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

You might read up on dry tans & then try heat like Bill suggests.

5. rebel

rebel New Member

i could be wrong but i think he thinks that a dry tan uses no liquid

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Maybe someone should invent a dry tan product, LOL I see there is a call for it now.

7. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Bring the brass monkey in and build a fire....

8. Ya need a DP(Dry Preservative) not a dry tan which is no different from a wet tan... except the leather is dry.... but if your solutions are freezeing so is your raw hide before the dp has a chance to work.... Splurge... Spend some money on some heat.....

9. Larry B

Larry B New Member

Build a small indoor box that will cover you pickle, then heat that. I used to have to do that when I make truck wash soaps and acids, it only takes a small heater that way.

10. I have i spent $500 on the Amish heater and it works to heat the room but outdoors it doesn't work so well...and if i leave my work in the house, the dogs get into it and will tip the bucket or try to eat the skins...even if i cover the tub the scratch at it . and i don't have doors to the upstairs rooms because we are remodeling the frames and walls..

On the DP issue how large a hide will this work effectively on? The only "paste-on" tan i have worked with is Dixie-tan and where it worked once for a deer rug it "starched" out cause i could not tumble it.

11. Randy Mac

Randy Mac New Member

Tan the dogs as well that way it will solve the problem with the dogs no put up a temporary door then heat the room

12. rebel

rebel New Member

theres your answer stick with the Dixie-tan LMAO

13. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Dogs outside
    Tanning inside
    Heat inside
    Done deal

14. gettergun

gettergun New Member

Use a submersible heater like the ones for stalk tanks or fish ponds. I use a little heater for a fish tank and it keeps the solution warm enough to keep the salt from falling out of solution.

15. i have one but it is being used by the horses and llamas for their water...those things are expensive

16. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Gettergun,