1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

short hair cape & hide puller

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Hoosiertaxman, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Hoosiertaxman

Hoosiertaxman Papa's Pride & Joy

getting ready to mount an early season bow killed whitetail. Have done some before with mixed results, some look good and others I have had hide puller marks left in after grooming. I want to be able to get the hide on the right sized and largest form, but I don't want to mess up the short haired hide with puller marks. Have seen some nice short haired mounts on here, what are your methods? bill

2. rebel

rebel New Member

i use a hide puller on short hared deer all the time just use plenty of glue

3. michaelf

michaelf New Member

Get a Stout Ruffer, it a really good tool for moving skin around without any damage.

4. ed150

ed150 deer city time

plenty glue does wounders

5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

use extra glue and slick that sucker up

6. Heck

Heck Active Member

Second..........

7. John L

John L Active Member

Third.............

The only thing a hide puller is good for is ripping that cape apart.

8. rebel

rebel New Member

[/quote] Third.............

The only thing a hide puller is good for is ripping that cape apart.
    [/quote] sounds like your form is to large for your cape

9. Size the deer as he was in life..you will be able to generate a lot more of the detail that is more important than his neck size..you can stretch those thin 17"whitetail into 20"forms but they look terrible...he is what he is
    Kevin

10. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Get a stout ruffer, the 1inch wide one, makes no holes. Hide puller is 8, 3 inch nails pulling your cape, if it slips it will hurt you unmercifully.

11. Heck

Heck Active Member

Second............ again.

12. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

IN Calif we have barely any hair on our deer.. Use a stout ruffer.. MUCH easier and leaves no damage :)

13. lookn4awhitetail

lookn4awhitetail "I shoot a Mathews, cause I dont wanna Hoyt them"

Cant beat it.

14. Carls1

Carls1 New Member

yup put one through my thumb nail

15. Stout Ruffers are great just make sure you keep enough pressure on it. If you slip you will pull hair out.

16. Matt

Matt Active Member

I personally never use a hide puller on a short haired cape, you'll slip with it sooner or later and be replacing a cape. The stout ruffer is the ticket, works great with no marks.

17. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Can someone put up a photo of a Stout Ruffer please ? I have no idea what you guys are talking about , but am sure it will be something common and that I can get here in the UK

18. JerryH

JerryH New Member

Scroll down to the bottom of the page on this link from WASCO
    http://www.taxidermy.com/

19. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Thanks Jerry, we do have wire brushes similar to these but I have not seen a curved one, I think the wires may be finer as well. Looks like yet another tool I will be ordering ! This taxidermy thing is getting quite expensive to start out !

20. JerryH

JerryH New Member

Well the link did not work like I wanted it to.
    Click on the link and you will see an alphabetical listing click on the letter R then scroll down until you see ruffer stout click on that then scroll down until you see the picture.

This is a great site but their web page is lacking IMO ;D