1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

smelly Fish mouth

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by turkeyjim, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Hi everyone.
    Not sure if I like this new forum, this is my first time here, not good with changes.
    I have a question on a walleye mount I'm working on. It's been drying for over a week and I noticed a smell. After checking it out, I looked down it's throat, it's still wet. I put more borax down the throat hoping it will dry it out. Is this going to be OK, what should I do.
    Jim

2. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Shoot a little acetone on it, to help dissipate the remaining moisture. It may be too late. Here is how you avoid this problem. Clean the esophagus and head as clean as possible. Use your preservative of choice. After it is mounted, put a gentle blowing fan in front of the fish. It doesn't have to be right up on it. It just needs a breeze blowing through the mount. This should eliminate your problem on future fish. Good Luck

3. den007

den007 Active Member

I know a German fellow who swears by using a blow dryer. Don't overdo it, but it can get some initial drying done fast if you don't cook it. Clamp it down and see what happens. I do think the acetone or even alcohol will help with bacterial growth. Quick spray then blow dry. Packing the throat with salt might work as well.

4. Thanks guys this is my sixth fish, I'm a newbee at fish but like it so far, this is the biggest walleye I've mounted and haven't had this happen yet all others dryed great, is this something fairly normal on bigger fish. I skin - flesh and soak in borax water solution for a coulpe hours. Then mount.
    Any feed back would be great
    Thank you again Jim

5. fesekula

fesekula Active Member

You need to have a fan blowing into the mouth of your walleye. With the fan it should be dry in a few days. I mounted up a 30 inch walleye last Friday and it is ready to paint today with the fan blowing on it. Do not place a fan on a fish the first 24 hours to help from lifting the scales.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Are you scraping the remaining throat skin by inserting something into it to get it all off? If not, that can add to your smell. Also are you sure you're cleaning out the head and cheek areas as much as possible? You should be able to see through both eye sockets. Do you have climate control as in AC? If your humidity is high, it will impede the drying of your fish. I put a fan on all of my fish regardless on the third day of drying once the jaws have set in place. At that point I remove the paper towel I have packed in the mouth to hold the mouth in the postion I want it to dry in.

Looks like everybody likes to use fans doesn't it? It's a great idea!

7. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I agree with Cecil on the necessity of scraping the throat skin. I have a baseball bat handle that I stiick down the throat and out the cut end. Then I can scrape the skin all the way around. I also apply powdered borax all over the inside of the head, under the gills, and around the throat skin just before inserting the paste covered form. It sounds like you left a significant amount of meat somewhere in the head...eh? I'd leave a big fish in borax more than just a few hours. Good luck.

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I figured out who you are Perca. The avatar makes perfect sense too. ;D

Welcome to the new taxinet. ;)

9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Careful spraying the acetone anywhere. IF you happen to get any of it on your foam body it will eat it right up. Besides, it's only going to dry the surface area for the most part anyway. Personally, I would just put it in front of a fan for a few days. If it still stinks after this, you didn't get all the meat out...