1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to bend feathers?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by mwking25, Jan 14, 2009.

1. mwking25

mwking25 New Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me when mounting a flying duck how do you bend the tips of the feathers at the end of the wings like the wind is blowing them. I saw a mount done like that and thought it looked very good, but I'm lost on how to do it.

2. jrclmn18

jrclmn18 New Member

I'm not an expert, but I have done it using a wire that is set under the wing. You curve the wire to the desired curve of the wing and all of the primaries of that wing and then tape (with masking tape) the feathers to the wire for drying. Let the bird dry out completely and they will set up as you have formed them. Other guys on here may have a different way. Look up "A simple wingset for flyers", its a post by Gulfcoast on here that explains it much better than I just did. Good Luck.

3. RDA

RDA Active Member

there are many techniques including a hot tool to gently stroke the feathers while bent into position but it can be tricky. Another, is a tool designed by Danny Owens Vandykes sells it and you can get fairly good results with it with a little practice....

4. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

you can also get good results using your finger and thumbnail like you woud if you were curling ribbon on a present, whatever method you try it will take practice and remember with the more dramatic effects such as feather bending less is more, a little bending goes a long way.

5. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

Also remember that flight in general is based on physics. There are only certain ways in certain poses that feathers are suppose to bend.. Study this.. 90% of the mounts I see with curled primaries are incorrect..

Jon~

6. There is a wing"tips" #24 that outlines one method used by Wingman. Here is the link if it might help you out. Take care, Jeff.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,49356.0.html

7. mwking25

mwking25 New Member

Thanks for all the help everyone.

8. wildturkeycall

wildturkeycall Thank you Lord for another fine day outdoors!

PA.
    I have also used my girlfriends big barrel curling iron. SHHhh don't tell her tho. LOL