1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Operation cost for a 10x12 freezer

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Bobbym1232, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

I am picking up a walk-in freezer for almost nothing and was just wondering if anyone knows about how much "juice" they take to run. Trying to decide if it will be cheaper to run one walk-in instead of my 3 large chest freezers. Anybody got a general idea?

2. I had a 10 x 10 and it ran about 52 bucks a month. It makes you lazy though, cause you can hang deer or yotes and anything else and say that you'll get back to them, instead of staying up late and skinning or caping. I put a hanging rack in mine, as well as shelves to keep track of things. I bought it used for 2500.00 and when I moved to Texas we had an auction and sold it for 3200.00. There are times when I miss it. Enjoy, you can always turn it off when you don't need oit.

3. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I think theres a cut off point between freezers and being able to shut one down at a time as you consolidate, and to having one walk in. I dont think the break is at three freezers though. They are nice to have, but so are individual freezers. I sure wish you lived closer to me if you decided against that walk in!!!! I run 7 freezers...

4. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

I run 8. Can't say I noticed much of an increase

5. Hey Bobby if you try it and don't like it I'll take it off your hands for next to nothing too! Sriously, if you decide you don't want it let me know.

6. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Poor guys..... I run 13 chest type and one Upright :'(

7. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

Mine isn't quite that big. It's 8X12 and 7ft tall. I guess I haven't figured cost with the new electric rates but it sure wasn't running no $52 a month. I built this one myself and would do it again in a heartbeat. I had a chance to get a fairly cheap used freezer but decided against it because I heard too many horror stories about repairs. I built mine yes, but put in a new unit with Warranties. The most trouble I've had with it in years is yesterday I had the evaporator freeze up and had to mess with it a couple hours.

8. Bobby; The main difference will be that you will need to vacuum seal anything you put in it that isn't tanned as it will freezer burn things very quickly that are not wrapped properly. It will go through a defrost cycle 3 or 4 times a day to keep the coils from icing up and it pulls all the moisture out of the box when it does this. I have two 10x18' and I keep all my tanned skins in them, but all my birds and fresh skins, go into chest freezers. My electric bill was $2000. last month, but that was with all my coolers and equipment running. It cost a couple hundred dollars a mont to run each freezer. Also, the fuller you have the freezer, the more efficient they will run. It is also VERY important to seall all sections of the box before you fire it off as a leak will cause ice build up and push the seams open. If you have any more questions, let me know.

9. Is there not a lot of wasted space in a walk in freezer?

10. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

Thanks for the input everyone. After thinking about it some more, I think I am probably going to sell it. I had a friend point out that if you have everything in one big freezer and it goes out, then you are flat out screwed. At least now if one freezer goes out I can at least move things around as needed into other freezers. And my chest freezers don't take more than $25 to operate every month. Don't see a lot of reason to mess with a system that isn't broke.

Every lease in South TX uses these things nowdays so I can probably make quite a bit off of it. It is coming out of a restaraunt that was bought outso it is in good working condition.

11. cattrax

oldman, It must get really hot in Corpus Christi ( I had to look where you were from that it would cost you $2 grand a month to run freezers and stuff). I guess I don't have all the problems that you do with a walk-in. I have capes, birds, whole mammals that have been in there for years. Freezer burn is not worse than a chest freezer; in fact it might be less. Some of the larger mammals are not wrapped at all. As far as wasted space, I have an isle in the middle and shelves on both sides that make things very easy to locate. A whole lot better than emptying out a chest freezer to get whats on the bottom.

12. Catrax: How cold do you keep your walk in freezer? Ifr you left an animal unwrapped in mine for 6 months, it would be freezer burned badly. Does your freezer not go thru a defrost cycle? I would sure like to know.

13. cattrax

0 degrees most of the year except for Sept. thru Thanksgiving which is our hunting season when I crank it down to 20 below to put the quick freeze to whatever's going in. It's goes thru the defrost cycle every 12 hours for 25 minutes each.

14. TexasTrophy

TexasTrophy New Member

What size chest freezers do you guys have and how many?

15. I bought a used 8 x 12 with all new compresser and motor for 5800.00 last fall. I used to have 3 large chest freezers and they ran me around 100.00 per month. Now with the walk in, I pay over around 300.00. Its alot more than I expected. 3 old chest freezers compared to all new equipment. Its nice though. I have shelves on all sides. Its alot easier to find stuff>

16. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I love walk-ins. But mine are two small. I have two 6x8's. One is just a back up. I also run 3 chests. I got mine cheap but for what I have spent keeping them running I could have bought a new one. I used to run 5 chest and when I went to a walk-in my bill actually went down 100 bucks a month.

17. Entergy rates are high, I have two chest freezers and a small fridge plus all the lights, my shop electric bill is under $50.00 per month.

even at home wehre there are five freezers, two fridges and heat int he winter our bill was only $275.00
    Last month was $175. and we are all electric.

18. If my electric bill is under $250 a month a miracle happened :-\ I have 5 chest freezers and 2 upright.

19. Lenny

Lenny New Member

One way to cut your electric bill is put foam blocks in your freezer when its not full. Its less space to cool. I lost a freeze several years ago. Now every freezer I have has an alarm on it.

20. Trashfish

Trashfish It's not easy being me!!

I have had a walk in for about 7 years. They are a great convenience for organizing and loading, BUT------------ The down side is cost,electric,Maintenance.Most need special wiring and plenty of ventelation, don't pack it away in a corner unless your compresser is out side. If you are buying a used one ,check with your re fridgeration man, if the freon is readily available. Some of the older types of freon the like buying gold.If the power goes off you better have a back up plan, Walk ins don't keep as cold as a chest freezer even though they run colder. Then there is the occasional manual defrosting. Humidity plays a toll on you condenser, frost plugs the radiator and things start to go to hell. I still run 3 chest freezers and if I was to do it all over again , I would run 6.