1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Purposes of the Tumbler

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by tex7906, Jan 15, 2009.

1. tex7906

tex7906 New Member

can anybody tell me the purposes and procedures of the fur tumbler and when to use it. and why
    thanks

2. tex7906

tex7906 New Member

thanks for the tip! since i live in west texas though i will mainly be tanning whitetail, fox, bobcat, raccoon etc.. ive never tanned a hide in my life but hopefully if everything goes right i'll be tanning within the next couple of months.. we'll see how it goes :)

3. shopkins94

shopkins94 New Member

Tex, I've hobby tanned for the past few years. I heard about tumblers and always wanted to try one. I didn't have a tumbler or a old clothes dryer like some people use. I did have a $250 concrete mixer from home depot though. I took the mixer, added in a small bucket of saw dust, some cornmeal, rice, and a hand full of pea gravel in it. I tossed in my hide, shimmed it so the bucket was horizontal, closed the front up with some taped on card board and let it go for a few hours.... I am a believer. It helps dry the hide, it breaks the hide, and it fluffs the fur.

I've used this for muskrats, mink, raccoon, and bobcats.

4. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

That is so weird ..............................I have a tumbler that I use to mix concrete........LOL

5. shopkins94

shopkins94 New Member

Sometimes you have to make do. =)

6. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

I do not think oldshaver is talking about a 55 gal tumbler , I think he is talking about a 6' or more ?

7. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

this may be a silly question but for someone who will only do a few hides per year is it possible to unhook the heating element in an old dryer to use as a tumbler? j

8. francis

francis Member

i'm glad this topic came up. i'm confused because i have a good tumbler. but i see no evidence of it breaking my hides, and they are tanned well. i use saw dust. is there something else i need to tumble it in. i would really like to see it do a little bit of breaking the hide. i've let it run for a couple of hours. but it just gets dried out and stiff. yet when i pull on it it softens.

9. smt16

smt16 New Member

hounddoggy- The heating element and tumbler motor are seperate components. it shouldn't be a problem to disconnect the heating element and still have a dryer that tumbles.

I haven't done any tumbling, but wouldn't adding something with some weight for example 2-3 baseballs in with the fur help break them. It would make a bunch of noise and baseballs was the only thing that came to mind, but it just makes sense to me.

10. jbaker

jbaker New Member

With a 55 gallon barrel you are not breaking the hide just rolling it around in sawdust. The hide has to fall 6 ft in a large tumbler with approximately 100 lbs of sawdust to properly break and soften it.

11. francis

francis Member

that seems reasonable. I'll have to try that. one other question. do you wait for the hide moisture to be at the breaking stage before you throw it in the tumbler, or can you just throw them in after they have been threw the oiling process, and still wet. i sure apreciate the guys on this sight. it helps a lot.

12. Tony.B

Tony.B New Member

just throw in a hiome dryer no heat with 5 tennis shoes

13. francis

francis Member

are you serious or is that a joke

14. jbaker

jbaker New Member

After the oil soaks in wait till the hides are approximately 80% dry then throw them in the 6 ft tumbler if you are trying to get a soft tanned hide.

15. francis

francis Member

whats the best stuff to tumble them in to break the leather. I've heard all kinds of crazy things, but what is the best.

16. moongast01

moongast01 My first love is God my second is My Wife....

Hardwood sawdust or corncobgrit. The base balls and other stuff can break off the hair.

17. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

make one cheep.....

[​IMG]

18. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

ooops cheAp