1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Oldshaver! Educate these people!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Glen Conley, Jan 16, 2009.

1. JerryH

JerryH New Member

I have nothing to contribute to this thread ---- I am just marking it so I can keep up ;D

2. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Well, it looks like we have at least a couple of people becoming enzyme aware now. That's a couple more than we had when this thread was started. Now the questions are starting to fly through peoples' heads, and all the answers they are coming up with are causing them to see nothing but good to come from this.

A few years ago, I was talking with the resident chemist for one of the companies I buy raw materials from. We were talking about the potential of improving the efficiency of an acid pickle, somewhere in there is where I introduced "enzymes" into conversation. He immediately replied with, "Right now there are over sixteen hundred different enzymes commercially available". That remark was enough to stop that part of the conversation.

3. Glen Conley

Ahhso, Gwasshoppas, wemember, someone must first write the book before someone else can read the book.

4. Glen Conley

NOPE!

I've put my attentions to the other side of the scale, meaning coming up with ways to keep the skin structure, including hair follides, intact. This has also included repairing damaged areas.

5. Glen Conley

Hudson, food for YOUR thoughts until I get back.

Collagen in a living system is naturally enzyme resistant by virtue of it's structure offering nothing for enzymes to get a "bite" on. With that being the case, why is it enzymes can break down tanned skins?

6. Glen Conley

D., to save your points from repossesion, how about giving the folks at home some examples of globular proteins as found in the skin?

7. Good day gentelmen.
    I use an acid bate from Beyer.
    Must say that my kudu and oryx came out better.
    Cheers.
    Jaco

8. Glen, the only globular protein that I know of is hemoglobin, the protein that carries oxygen in the blood. I guess they are found in the skin. Collagen which is a protein that is found in the skin and bone, I think is considered a fibrous protein.

Correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

9. Glen Conley

D., there are a good number of globular proteins, so we really don't need to delve into them much further at this time. Pointing out that the collagen is fibrous should help everyone make a distinction. So we will say good bye to my hydrophilic buddies for the time.

I tried to come back in on this thread earlier, but when I am logged in a lot of times I have a browser problem. Last night it went even further and locked up and crashed my computer. About twenty minutes worth of tinkering got me back to running and I wasn't in the mood to retype what I was just getting ready to submit.

10. Glen Conley

Bull poopie.

I have often marveled at the amount of biological data that you have had go through your hands and in front of your eyes. You just haven't been using all the ten dollar words over the years. You know all this stuff when you see it.

More for you now, you being the old Texas bulldogger that you are.......

Before synthetics, how were saddle trees made? What was the useful life of the same?

What are REAL Romel reins made from (not the commercially made wannabe variety)? What would be a useful life for those?

Can you name ANY tanned leather that could stand up to the same amount of use and time?

11. Glen Conley

Hudson.......are you going to answer that question, or are you going to just keep sittin' there like a stump?

I suppose you are waiting for a hint? A lot of times the answers are so obvious everyone ignores them.

Here's yer hint..........
    How do you personally initially break down collagen so that it is open for enzyme activity??

12. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

hudson....say salt.

13. Glen Conley

Hudson, if you say salt, this is what you will get:

F

However, when your personal collagen breaker downer is reacted with sodium bicarbonate, or sodium carbonate, it can produce salt.

14. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Hudson...dont say salt after all.

15. LMAO, Bill what made you change your mind? :D

16. Glen Conley

LMAO x 2!

17. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

well say metabolism

18. Glen Conley

Assuming you mean salt to be sodium chloride, what acid specifically would be needed to produce sodium chloride when reacted with bicarb?

Uncle Ron didn't know he was making his own sodium bicarbonate, maybe Hudson doesn't realize he is making his own collagen breaker downer. He's been awfully quite lately, ain't like him.

19. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Well, you could have hit me in the head with a stick! I had to put all the clues together to figure it out....Last clue being a dead giveaway, for a chemist anyway...I was thinking external...gotta think differently...go inside...

20. Glen Conley

Hudson.......you know what you caused? You caused my eyebrows to shoot way up, darn near off my forehead.

I am totally impressed.

Double points!

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I figure that two out of three people reading this have absolutely no clue as to what you are talking about. For those we have photographs.

Within the black oval you will see where a collagen fibre has unfurled to the point that it's shape is more like that of a strip of bacon.

A formic acid pickle produced the results you see.