1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wrinkled skin problem (longish)

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Beavis, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Beavis

Beavis Member

I am working on my fourth fish, a brookie I got from Cecil (no trout here in central Ohio). I don't skin mount, only mold and cast, usually with body filler, but have experimented with urethanes, silicones, plaster, etc.

Anyhoo, this fish is practice for me so its no big deal, just want to know if this is normal or not. The brookie cast has, what I can best describe as "wrinkles" or "ridges" like muscles or tissue beneath the skin. Kind of like what you see on a catfish, towards the rear of the fish above his anal fin, and in front of his "tail".

Evidently, I overlooked this when I poured my mold. To me, it looks natural, but like I said, I'm new, with limited knowledge of anatomy. My guess is that if you were skin mounting over a carved foam body you wouldn't have this. I have a steelhead replica done by another taxi a few years back, and I don't see this, nor do I see it in others' trout. (They may very well be there, but I can't see them.)

I thaw my fish in icy cold water and dish soap for two or three days, so I can mold them on a Saturday. This particular fish, I pumped a good deal of caulk down his throat and his belly looks nice and full.

I can understand how these "ridges" could occur if a fish is posed and bedded with a radical curve, but that would be on the "inside" only right? This fish was very subtly bent. I could also see this happening if the specimen was decaying somehow, even if not visibly. Is that the case?

What do I do if I want a pedestal mount? These "ridges" are pronounced enough that grinding and filling with sculpt isn't an option, and I think that would look worse. Not to mention, somehow re-applying all those scales.

I have a nice brown trout in the freezer, also from Cecil that I may want to compete with on an amateur level of some sort, and I doubt if these "ridges" would be acceptable. How do I avoid this in the future? Or is it correct as is? (I'm thinkin' not) I'm simply trying to do the best work possible, any help in this area is greatly appreciated. TIA

Donny

2. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I think you are seeing the linear arrangement of muscle sections that were under the skin. I have several book trout replicas here that have that rippled look...very cool....eh? I think you have gotten exceptional detail in your mold/cast because they show. Doing anything to remove them (like grinding/sanding) would, IMO, be counter-productive.

3. scanman

scanman New Member

Donny, do have any pictures. I attached a picture of a brookie from the Wynia paint schedules. It is a fish that has been antiqued, you can seen the "V" ridges along the fish and usually there is a horizon depression down by the tail. Is that what you are referring to?

4. Beavis

Beavis Member

Thanks for the quick replies fellas. I paint very unconventionally, and I'm trying something new so don't bust my chops on the paint. After seeing that replica, I think I might be okay.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks again.
    Donny

5. scanman

scanman New Member

Your fine Don, good luck

6. Beavis

Beavis Member

Thanks J. Scanlan, I feel better now. Although at nearly fifty years old, and having fished all my life, I could honestly say I could count on one hand the number of trout I've seen in real life, save Lake Erie steelhead. Sadly, we don't have the fishery in Ohio. Thanks again.

7. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

Hey Don, try fishing the Mad River around Urbana (north of Dayton). We used to catch a bunch of rainbows there, my brother still fishes it. It now is mostly brown trout with some 3-4 # fish not uncommon.

8. Thats called "Muscle Tone" lol
    You are good to go!
    Cecils fish are really Beefy and always give you good muscle details.