1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Any inside tips? BIG QUESTION!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by shopkins94, Jan 18, 2009.

1. shopkins94

shopkins94 New Member

I know this is a big question but....

I am building a collection of North American furbearer pelts for a show and tell type collection so that people can see and feel all the different animals. I purchased the pelts below and I am starting my project now. Any specific tips on the animal would be appreciated. I am looking for garment soft leather since the pelts will be handled (ha aren't we all?). Sending to a tannery is not an option because I tan as a hobby. I've tanned muskrats mainly (about 20), a raccoon and a bobcat. I am by no means an expert. I tan with Lutan-F, Rittels safety acid, and rittels ultra-soft. I have rittel's acid bate coming in on Tuesday and I also just received Knoblochs deodorizer. I don't have a shaver, I intend to de-membrane with my hands and a knife.

Any specifics like, "watch the artic fox because his fur can pickup off colors from the pickle", which animals to really degrease or deodorizer, etc ,etc would be much appreciated. I know I might be in over my head, but that's the challenge. =)

Muskrat
    Nutria
    Mink
    Rabbit
    Coyote
    Badger
    Beaver
    Raccoon
    Skunk
    Red Fox
    Grey Fox
    Artic Fox
    Possum
    Fisher
    Otter
    Bobcat

Wolverine and wolf are coming in a few months.

Thanks.

Sam