1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Far Out... Trout!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by AnglingArtisan, Sep 13, 2006.

1. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

Here are a few photos of Trout that we don't see every day.
    Feel free to share any info/stories you may have about them and also if you have any; pics of other exotic, rare or unusual Trout.
    :D

1. Marble Trout
    2. Aurora Trout
    3. Lenok Trout

1. [​IMG]
    2. [​IMG]
    3. [​IMG]

2. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Guest

Rich.......how have you been?...great photos......adding one for ya.......Blueback Tout.....could not find a real picture on the web.....but here's a copy and paste of a mounted one.....Taxidermist unknown, but it sure looks like a Dave Footer mount from Maine.......a couple of lake in the Allagash Water way above Moosehead Lake have them......especially a small lake above Lake Munsongun (spelling).....enjoy

3. AnglingArtisan

Hey Bruce,
    Doing well, keeping busy...hope everything's going good for you too.
    Thanks for sharing the pic. I've seen a few of Footer's Brook Trout before and really admire his work.
    Is a Blueback the same as a Sunapee do you know?

4. Nice photos!

5. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Guest

Rich.......glad all is well...met Dave more than once...his daughter actualy did all the painting.......there early work gave me much inspiration....as far as Blue Back & Sunapee, I did not know..so looked this up.......quite interesting....hope you enjoy....... Translate this page with

Salvelinus aureolus oquassa (Bean 1887)
    Common Name: blueback trout, Sunapee trout

Synonyms and Other Names: Sunapee trout, blueback char, blueback trout.

Taxonomy: available through

Identification: There has been considerable confusion and disagreement among taxonomists concerning the status of the Sunapee and blueback. For instance, some authors have treated each as distinct species, the blueback as Salvelinus oquassa and the Sunapee as S. aureolus. Quadri (1974) suggested that the Sunapee and blueback, along with the Quebec red (sometimes listed as S. marstoni), are conspecific and should be synonymized as a subspecies of the Arctic char (i.e., S. alpinus oquassa). According to Behnke (personal communication) both the Sunapee and blueback trout should be recognized as S. aureolus oquassa. Kendall (1914b) provided color plates showing both the Sunapee and blueback trout and gave a table to distinguish between the two forms. He also provided detailed descriptions and morphometrics. Scarola (1973) provided a key for the Sunapee trout. Everhart (1976) gave a photo of blueback trout and a key to both Sunapee and blueback trout.

Size: blueback - 36 cm; Sunapee - 58 cm (Kircheis 1976).

Native Range: Sunapee trout were native to Sunapee Lake, New Hampshire; Averill Pond, Vermont; Big Dan Pond, New Hampshire; and Floods Pond, Maine (Behnke, personal communication). Three of the four populations have become extinct and the Sunapee exists only in Floods Pond, Maine, near Bangor (Behnke, personal communication). The Sunapee populations have suffered due to hybridization with introduced lake trout S. namaycush (Behnke, personal communication). The blueback trout is native to northwestern Maine in the headwaters of the St. John and Penobscot rivers, specifically in Black Lake, Deboullie Lake, Gardner Lake, Purshineer pond in Arrostook County; Big Reed Pond, Rainbow Lake and Wadleigh Pond in Piscataquis County; Penobscot Lake in Somerset County (erroneously reported as in Piscataquis County); and in Bald Mountain Pond, also in Somerset County (Everhart and Waters 1965). Formerly existed in the Rangeley Lakes but extirpated from there circa 1904 (Kendall 1914b; Everhart and Waters 1965).

Nonindigenous Occurrences: This species was introduced into several lakes at the headwaters of the Salmon River in Idaho, including Alice, Vernon, Big Redfish, and Sawtooth lakes (Linder 1963; Deacon et al. 1979; Idaho Fish and Game 1990). It was also stocked in four areas in Maine: Upper and Lower South Branch Pond in Piscataquis County, Echo Lake in Hancock County and Coffee Pond in Cumberland County (Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Game 1974; Kircheis 1976). Each location received 5,000 fish annually from 1969 until at least 1974, except for Echo Lake which began stocking in 1974. This stocking was conducted as part of a management plan to increase the range of the Sunapee trout which has become restricted to one lake (Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Game 1974). The Sunapee trout was introduced into unspecified area(s) of Massachusetts (Fowler 1907). The species was stocked in several lakes New Hampshire, including Tewskburry Pond in Grafton and Connor Pond in Ossippee (Scarola 1973; Kircheis 1976). Lake George (Warren County) in New York was stocked with trout from Sunapee Lake prior to 1903 (Bean 1903).

The Blueback trout was introduced into the Snake River drainage below Shoshone Falls, Idaho (Idaho Fish and Game 1990); unspecified areas of Maine shortly after the species discovery in 1874 (Kendall 1914b; Kircheis 1975). Although presumed native, the population at Wadleigh Pond, Maine, might have resulted from these early introductions. An experimental translocation from Wadleigh Pond to Basin Pond in Kennebec County, Fayette Township, Maine, was carried out in 1969 (Kircheis 1975). The blueback trout was also stocked in Newfound, Squam, Connor, and Sunapee lakes, New Hampshire, in 1879, and in unknown locations the previous year (Kendall 1914b; Hoover 1936; Kircheis 1975). Stocking in Sunapee Lake took place several years before the Sunapee trout was identified (Kendall 1914b).

Means of Introduction: Most of these introductions took place a hundred years ago and were intended to enhance sportfishing. Blueback stockings in Maine and New Hampshire were mainly as forage for landlocked salmon (Kircheis 1975).

Status: Established in Idaho (in Sawtooth Lake) (Behnke, personal communication) and Massachusetts; unknown in New Hampshire. Early blueback stockings in Maine and New Hampshire failed (with the possible exception of Wadleigh Pond (Kircheis 1975). Experimental stockings of bluebacks in Basin Pond failed (Kircheis 1975).

Impact of Introduction: Unknown.

Remarks: Sunapee trout hybridize with introduced brook trout S. fontinalis in Idaho (Behnke, personal communication).

References

Other Resources:
    FishBase Fact Sheet

Author: Pam Fuller

Revision Date: 5/18/2000

Citation for this information:
    Pam Fuller. 2006. Salvelinus aureolus oquassa. USGS Nonindigenous Aquatic Species Database, Gainesville, FL.
    <http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.asp?speciesID=936> Revision Date: 5/18/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

They look a lot like a summer lucastrine phase brook trout without the vermiculations to me. What a shame the landlocked salmon were introduced into the Rangely Lakes around the turn of the 20th century which decimated the stunted populaton there the brook trout fed on. Can't imagine what it must have been like to catch double digit pound brook trout back then.

Was Dave Footer as good as they say he was? Is his work on par with todays top artists? Does he compete? Just wondering as I heard his praises in a book I read about brook trout. Sometimes the layman doesn't know what good taxidermy is as we all know.

Just curious no offense intended.

7. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Guest

Cecil........when I met Footer, in the early 80's, IMO his work was unmatched.......at least from what I had seen.......he did alot of work for Jim Rusher who owned Whitakers Tackle Shop in Pulaski, NY.......I saw alot of different species he had done, and for that time, they were as good as you could get.....all skin mounts, on hand carved bodies.......Dave did not paint!........his daughter did all the painting........and they surely looked good.......we talked alot about fish mounting while Steelhead fishing........I was just starting to mold fish then, so never tried his techniques......after I quit guiding in NY, I lost touch..........don't know if he is even alive now.......I am going to try and find out, and see if I still have pictures of some of his fish.

8. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Hey Way cool Char stuff Rich!!! Tanks so much for sharing!

Cecil I don't know if you know this or not But Dave F isn't dead or any thing ( old maybe) but not yet deceased. I've known Dave and have had several opportunities to talk fish with him. He is quite the instution in Maine to say the least. There is and Action every spring and his pieces grab lots of money by bidders for sure. His work is what we would describe as stylised. He has a gift however in what may lack in anatomical correctness or color presentation he truly captures the essence of the fish! You look at his work and say WOW how cool! I'll post a picture later when get a chance of Dave's work. Hope all is well with the fish group today!

My Best!

Rick Krane
    Anglers Artistry

9. AnglingArtisan

10. AnglingArtisan

Here are a couple fine examples of David's work.
    I hope he doesn't mind me sharing.
    I find them inspiring :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I like them. If his work was this good back in the 70's he was ahead of his time don't you think? I suppose one could nit pick if one wanted to but...

Thanks for sharing.

12. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Guest

Rich.........great links on Dave Footer!......I was suprize to find on of the links written by a good friend Ingid Sills and the crazy Paul Smookler..........Paul is one of the finest full dressed Atlantic Salmon fly tiers there ever was....I was fortunate to meet him while Atlantic fishing in 1992. I was doing a photo shoot for the New Brunswick Dept. of Tourism when Bill Ensor was the top man....he had invited Ingrid and Paul along with Warren Dunkan, origionater of the "Green Butt Skunk", to fish the St. John's with Mic Mac indian guides....what a hoot we had........we then fished, on a river tour together ending up on the Mirimichi.....talk about fish heads!....... we caught a fair share of Salmon, and tons of grillse.......four of my Atlantic molds came from that trip......kinda funny, how this thread has brought back some great times and lasting memories.....thanks Rich!

13. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Guest

Two more Dave Footer mounts......he painted all his own backgrounds, and was the first that I know of that did hand painted displays for fish with the bubble dome over them.....enjoy

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Wow I love the painted background in the glass case along with the scenery :) :) :)

15. kevin scott

kevin scott New Member

those are really cool looking trout! I was at the wolf creek hatchery at cumberland, they had three fingerling rainbows that were blue. They were almost like neon blue. they kinda glowed in the water.