1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

aggressive buck

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ryan9289, Jan 18, 2009.

1. ryan9289

ryan9289 New Member

i just mounted a deer i killed in november, full rut, almost a 26 inch neck. I got the Mckenzie head down offset series, in the Mckenzie pictures the ears are wayyy laid down and i tried to make them match as best as i could but if anyone thinks it could look better please tell me. thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

man!that is sweet!!! is that the 64d? got that form on the way! i think it looks like its ready for war!

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Look like the butts are on the back of the head, not on the sides. And the eye looks whack.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It looks as if your earbutts are too far rearward.

5. ryan9289

ryan9289 New Member

hounddoggy, be ready for a huge form and a very big shoulder!
    oh and by the way these pics were taken before any eye work or anything critical

6. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I don't see 26" neck B or C measurement.

7. ryan9289

ryan9289 New Member

the form is 24 inches, that was the biggest one they had for that pose...

8. Dean

Dean New Member

You should have cut the back of the form where the ears would be. The forms are made for more of an ears forward position. The material at the back of the head of the form has to be removed to get the ears to fit in the right place. Remember there is a lot of muscle tissue that moves when an ear moves. It's not just on the surface. The eyes and nose don't have an aggressive look either. Next time you have a dead deer in your hands move the ears forward and back and see what moves. You can learn more in 30 seconds of looking at that movement than hours of asking questions. Learn to read reference on eyes and ears.The deer on the wall has serious ear problems too. To low to far back and the ears are sticking out of the head to far. How are you prepping the capes? Are you shaving your hides? The deer looks like a 20"-21" neck at best and not a 26"

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Dean, I don't think I agree with that at all. The forms are about right (I use "ABOUT" advisedly). Forms don't have ear butts and most now are made to take the earliners with butts or the Eppley line that has ear butt bases to attach the earliner into. Now if I were tucking those ears straight back, you can bet I'd hack out some foam. The McKenzie Natra Look Ears Back liners wrap around the back of the form to give you that look. Aggressive ear postures are more in line with the neck however, and folded downward.

10. ryan9289

ryan9289 New Member

thanks george for your input, i worked with them some yesterday......Dean, first of all i wasnt talking about the deer on the wall, the customer came in and said put them like this, so we did...he didnt want them any other way, second...go back and read my earlier post, the form is a 24 inch one, im sorry that you think it's only 20, and im pretty sure that, that form is made for ears back not ears forward.

11. Dean

Dean New Member

George , You are wrong. The ear butt /muscles start at the skull. Most forms do have a lot of the ear butts molded into the form. They are mainly made for the old standard of ears forward. Forms aren't made for ears back pose unless you use the Natura look ears back ear liner. Then you can get away with it because most people don't know the difference. They are made to compensate for the extra material at the back of the head. They still have problems but pass for quick commercial work. Most taxidermists don't see live deer up close every day so what is produced by the supply companies is taken to believe as accurate. Just because the companies make something doesn't mean it's accurate. It's all about convenience and making it easier for beginner taxidermists and commercial work to get knocked out quicker. It's about money. Most ear liners require you to cut the form to ACCURATLY do the an ears back position.
    Ryan I pointed out the other deer because when someone is making a mistake on one piece it's done wrong on all of them until they learn different. Both have ear problems. I see it all the time in competition. Someone will enter 3-4 deer heads and get hit on the same thing on all of them. Ears don't have to be in the exact same pose as long as the base of the ear butt is in the right place. If that's a 24" neck, then where are you taking your measurements from? Just because George has the time to have 9897 posts doesn't mean he has all the right answers. I just haven't been on here in abou 6-7 months to answer questions. You asked about making it look better so I gave my advice. If you don't want it don't ask or post it. By the way. To get the ears layed tight to the neck you WILL have to cut the form. I see my buck get pissed at me every day in the fall when I go down to his pen. I know what is right and what looks wrong when it comes talking about a deers ears. Take it for what it's worth.

12. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I agree with T and George, they look too far back as far as attachment. I also agree with Dean, that neck doesnt have a big look, regardless of the measurements. If they dont have the right size form, you dont mount it on the smaller one, yikes! Also, yes you DO have to cut the form to set aggressive ears properly. Sounds like everyone made some really good points to help Ryan out. I can say with certainty that George, Dean and me have sure seen our share of aggressive bucks...and all have the scars to prove it!

13. Terry Vining

Terry Vining last photo together

Mi
    keep in mind that when a deer moves his ear or ears back all the way, you will see little or no ear butt when looking at him from straight on. the photos are not aggressive ears but may help you see what the guys are saying.

14. Terry Vining

Terry Vining last photo together

Mi
    three more ears as fast as i could shoot

15. ryan9289

ryan9289 New Member

dean..do you have any aggressive-ears back mounts that you can post on here so i can see exactly what you mean?

and yes i know the neck doesnt look that big, but trust me it's rather large. the pics were taken from my cell phone

16. wow great reference pics on the ears layed back been looking for some to mount a booner I shot.Wonder what a judge would say about wrinkels in one ear and not the other.

17. Bill Yox

If the ear is forward, the front gathers=wrinkles. Same with rear facing ears, wrinkled in back. Aggressive ears set in and fold over the anatomy at the base. You guys dont need to ask for a pic in here, what youll really need is to gather LOTS of pics and study the animal to see what you need, to learn it. Try to visit someone locally with live animals.

18. ryan9289

ryan9289 New Member

around here its against the law to keep deer, i had a doe this past season but it didnt make it....i will look into that though, i dont know for sure but im think theres nowhere really close

19. Bill Yox

Another good source of reference is all those old hunting magazines that we all seem to accumulate. I have a binder full of great pics, some are a page, others are smaller and need to be cut out.

20. Dustyford77

Dustyford77 Sum ting wong!

I was at Brian Johnsons "Revolutions Forms" sculpting studio yesterday... if you want to see wrinkle detail on forward and back ears just "nair the hair around the ear and move it however u want