1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question for wire wheel fleshers

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by AndyO, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Ever get a cape wrapped up in the wheel? What direction does your wire wheel spin (clockwise or counter clockwise) Just curious. Thanks.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Clock wise and go from tail to head. Next to that hold on to the cape and put an extra wheel on. It makes a difference.

3. Thanks for the reply Frank. I was knocking some rust off a piece of sheet metal the other day and was wondering what would happen if a cape got wrapped in a high torque (1hp) bench grinder. I've spun my share of ducks when first learning on the wire wheel, curious what would happen if someone spun a cape. BTW, I use a round knife, just curious about the wire wheel method for hides.

4. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

Never have had it happen as of yet, . My grinder runs clockwise with the wheels running twards me just like a normal grinder set up.

Some guys run theres like a bridflesher set up. Its personal preferance how you run your set up of corse. Always keep the hide drawn tight and eas it into the wheel and always keep it moving. I have heard some horror stories of guys nearly ripping there hands off when a hide would somehow grab around the shaft and draw tight.

Lets not hope it ever happens.

5. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

been using one for years and its never happered yet - damn that means it will happen the next time i use it

6. greenhorn26

greenhorn26 New Member

I got a drill bit that is for cutting out doornobs and drilled out 2 of them and gule then drilled out a 3/8 hole in the center and put that behind the wire wheel wors well for me,