1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tear duct on deer-by oldterryr

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Lisa M, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Some of us were blessed to have known Terry Davis both personally and professionally for many years, while some of us only knew him for a matter of weeks. In May of 2008 he lost his battle with cancer. There are no words to adequately express the grief many of us felt for Terry & his family. For many months we read his “Cancer Blogs”. Through the good times and bad, Terry tried to smile and tried to help. He gave his life, his family, and this industry that he loved so much, everything he could, until he could give no more.

I hope that in some small way, by putting the tutorials that Terry had on his website, here on Taxidermy.net, he will continue to teach, inspire, and watch over all of us. His beloved wife, Maggie, has given her blessing to this project.

I haven’t changed a word of the tutorials. The methods described within are entirely Terry’s. I made the pictures taxi.net friendly, but other than that, this is the exact tutorial Terry had on his website. ;)

Enjoy, and God bless. L

[​IMG]

Tear duct on deer
    1) probably one of the most frustrating things for a newcomer is getting the tear duct to stay in form as it dries - i learned (and modified) this method shown here from another taxidermist - first step after hollowing out slot for duct to sit in is to drill small holes on both sides of
    slot
    [​IMG]
    2) another shot
    [​IMG]
    3) getting the duct to stay where it is put is a two step procedure for me - mix up some 30 minute epoxy - any duration shorter than this might set up b4 you get to tucking the tear duct
    [​IMG]
    4) put form on its side and push the 30 minute epoxy into slot
    [​IMG]
    5) build a dam on both sides of slot with critter clay - the small holes that you predrilled will help hold the clay in place
    [​IMG]
    6) push tear duct into slot in form....
    [​IMG]
    7) ......on both sides - go ahead and tuck eyelids
    [​IMG]
    8) After i have deer mounted i go back and pinch the clay dam together - you have made a partial bridge over the top of the tear duct and it cant dry back - it has no place to go
    [​IMG]
    9) here's the other side
    [​IMG]
    10) Tear duct ready to dry - lets retouch eye and go watch csi - check back a couple more tomorrows and make sure everything is still kosher
    [​IMG]

2. Thanks for the tutorial this will come in very handy.

3. DZach

DZach Member

Thanks Lisa! These tuits. are really helpful to us newbies.

4. Lisa M

You're welcome DZ. Terry is the one who did the work though. I think it's awesome that he's still here watching over us. :) Warms my heart. ;) I'm so grateful to Maggie for letting them come over here too. ;) She's a peach. :)

5. any way these pictures can be made active again?

6. Lisa M

7. hey thanks lisa, i got time:) i just saw this and thought how great of a resource it would be to have back! thanks again

8. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Nice Lisa. Not only is it a good tutorial, but a very thoughtful gesture as well. Peace

9. Very nice Lisa.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Terry about different issues I had over the years and used his website many times. He was very informative and never minded a bit to help walk me through anything. Thanks Terry and God Bless. Missed by many.

10. Lisa M

Exactly. I'm working on it folks. ;)

11. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

Patrick J knows how and he and Ken are working on it as well

Check with them Lisa your all doing the same thing.

Jeff

12. Lisa M

Thank God.

13. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,187337.0.html

Sorry forgot this in the post

Jeff

14. Lisa M

We know the photobucket pictures are down. I've done what I can to fix it. I am at a loss for anything else I can do. Ken Edwards & Patrick J are working on it and I am very grateful to them. I am hopeful that Terry can continue to teach future generations of taxidermists for many years to come.

Thank you for your patience.