1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Soft pliable krowtann rug with no breaking

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by whitetailexpressions, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Just wanted to share a Krowtann experience. Tanned a full deer hide with intentions of a rug in front of my recliner. Fleshed the hide, mixed the krowtann following the directions to a T. Let sit for 4-5 days in tan. After following the wash and neutralize instructions on bottle I brushed a heavy coat of "Rittel Supersoft Oil" found in dan rhinehart catalog (catalog # SO-320) onto the hide. I folded skin to skin and put in bottom of fridge to sweat for about a week. When I took it out it was soft to the touch very pliable and great leathery texture. Also, I might add that I krowtanned this skin last year (fall 2007) and froze it. I just recently took it out (fall 2008) and did the oil job. So here we are 3 months after oiling and it is the same as it was when i took it out of the fridge. The only issue I had was around the very outer edges of the hide where I did not flesh very well it is kind of stiff, but not hard as a rock. Am currently trying this method on a cow hide, will let everyone know how it works out.

2. shopkins94

shopkins94 New Member

So are you saying that the 1 week with the oil had great benefits? This is very interesting indeed. Why did you place in the fridge if it was tanned?

3. Advanced

Advanced New Member

How are you fleshing? Rotary, knife, pressure washer?

We simply pressure wash, go through krowtann, hang for 1 day, then use Liqua Soft.

We have had great success on soft tans with deer, otter, coon, bobcat and fox.

I am very interested in your cow results. Please let us know.

Thanks,

Roger

4. Fleshed with rotary knife (fleshing machine). As for the week in the fridge I had picked up from previous attempts at tanning with different chemicals I just assumed that it should sweat in the fridge. Don't know if I would get same results just oiling and leaving out in the air or not. Might do some experimenting with small pieces of hide.

5. Also trying to find out if you are able to wash a krowtanned hide? If anyone knows then let me know. Thanks, My two year old has gotten some snacks and what not on my deer rug.

6. Let us know if it is still soft and pliable after it air dries. Of course it wil stay soft and pliable if kept in the fridge, so will a green hide.

7. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I think 3 moths out of the fridge is enough time to Air dry lol

8. Yea he's been out of the fridge for a while. It's laying by my bed so I can step on it in the morning and it's still soft, white, and stretchy.

9. Will try to get some photos tonight that might show the color and texture and stretch qualities.

10. shopkins94

shopkins94 New Member

i've been reading a lot about the chemistry of tanning and I don't think that the normal home tan directions of "paint on the oil/water mixture and let sweat for 30 minutes" are correct. From what I've read, the water from the water/oil mixture pulls the oil into the pelt and then evaporates and leaves the oil between the fibers (where when alive, water would be). This creates a soft pelt because it lubricates the individual fibers. I am going to take an old muskrat pelt and try this. I use Lutan-F, not krowtann, but if I understand the chemistry of tanning correctly, it shouldn't matter what tan you use.

11. shopkins94

shopkins94 New Member

I read an article that tanneries let the leather dry before they apply the oil? That would make sense as the water would pull the oil in with it as it entered to rehydrate.

12. I didn't use any type of water/oil mix I used straight softening oil on this cape. Don't know much about tanning procedures but I do know that I have used krowtann probably 3 or 4 times and the stuff is awesome. I have used it on deer, fox, bobcat, snakeskins. The snakes I have done with it a year prior still have good coloration

13. shopkins94

shopkins94 New Member

Was it already wet when you oiled it? I threw some straight rittel's proplus oil onto a muskrat pelt and stuck it into the fridge. I'm going to take another one, wet it down for 30 minutes and then oil and put in fridge.

14. shopkins94

shopkins94 New Member

I just bought some krowtann!

15. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

welcome to the club follow the directions and you should be fine don't be another one of George's statistics LMAO!!

16. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Ohh

17. shopkins94

shopkins94 New Member

I feel like I am cheating on Lutan-F...

18. shopkins94

shopkins94 New Member

Well, I took two muskrats that were already tanned. I put straight oil on one and tossed it in the fridge and for the second one I rehydrated it over night and then put on straight oil and tossed it in the fridge. I took them out after a week and put them on a wire stretcher and let them dry. The results were that they were still the same pliability as when they started, BUT what blew my mind was that their hair was SUPER fluffy and even though the pelts were on a wire stretcher, which basically made them flat, when I removed them they popped up round. I've never know a muskrat pelt to pop up round. I recently tanned a red fox, grey fox, muskrat, rabbit, possum, nutria and skunk and I oiled them all and tossed them in the fridge to sit a week. I'll let you know how they turn out.

19. Were they krowtanned? Also the deer hide I did was frozen and never allowed to air dry.

20. BillinS.C.PA

BillinS.C.PA New Member

Great thread guys. Im interested to see the results.

Im wondering if being in the fridge allow the oil to absorb and lubricate the fibers at a slower more controled rate, allowing it to work better.

Appox how much supersoft was used per cape??? Just trying to figure out cost per hide.