1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Resin/Bondo Ears - The Hard Way

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Freespirit, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Re: Bondo Ears - The Hard Way

And here are shots of the "alternate" antlers that may fix the problem

2. Re: Bondo Ears - The Hard Way

I'm I missing something elkhunter what does this have to do with resin ears ???
    Wayne

3. Richard B

Richard B Well-Known Member

Re: Bondo Ears - The Hard Way

That's what happens when you sniff Bondo :eek:
    Richard

4. Re: Bondo Ears - The Hard Way

you should be on Saturday nite live

5. Richard B

Richard B Well-Known Member

To ugly :(

6. Re: Bondo Ears - The Hard Way

My bad i did post in the wrong thread I apologize...but if you look at the ears can you see the "shaping" i was talking about? After i put Bondo inside i thinned it throughout the ear and then pressed it over an earliner to shape it

7. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Elkie reminds me of British shoemakers. They have had shoes described to them but have never actually seen a pair.

8. Re: Bondo Ears - The Hard Way

just try to match colors of hair to the ears and brushing the edges of the holes

9. Mike just wondering did you send up that sample glue yet just a reminder
    Wayne

10. will the thinner take it outa the hair after it drys?

11. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Ive never drenched the ear with paint thinner, except in the first stage when your cleaning the inner ear... I just brush thinner all over the ear with it inverted, I use a spnge brush... and wear gloves..
    For the hair side when any bondo gets on it, I just use a wire brush to remove it.. if you wait til it starts kicking and gets to that rubbery stage it brushes off real easy, if you wait til its done kicking and is hard it also comes off but takes a bit more brushing and sometimes have to pinch the bondo to break it up..but no need for drenching it with thinner..

I use a cake decorator bag to squeeze it into the ear.. very easy and less mess.. I snip the end of the bag off, open it up and shove it down in the ear with the ear hanging over the edge of the table so its hanging downward, stretch the ear opening a bit so it stays open... then I mix my bondo on a paper plate scrape it off into the bag with a depressor and then just twist the bag shut and squeeze it into the ear.. :)

I would have used super glu and dryer sheet to fix the cuts.. But interesting to see your method

BTW Its really neat you took the time to do a tutorial, its netat to see how others do it.. :)

12. i like that cake bag idea ill be doing that next time for sure

13. A ziplock sandwitch baggie works good also. Mix your bondo, place into baggie, zip shut, snip corner of baggie, and squeeze into ear. Throw baggie away. Cheep and no mess.

14. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

The cake bags are in the wedding /cake deco section at walmart .. they hang nicely and you just rip one off as you need it...

15. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I used to use a similar method of bondo ears for mule deer until I noticed some of my older muley mounts done with the bondo/resin chopped matt ears had the ears curling forward and distorting some over time. Now whitetails are the largest ear I will use no ear liner bondo method with and I only use that when I am out of liners for some reason. And yes, those chemicals on your bare hands will kill you cruel over time. You should print a disclaimer and warning at least for the younger taxidermists that may take the advise. I like the use of coyote belly hair repair tip! Thanks