1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best way to seal "European Skull Mount"

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by BownRut, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Hey everybody! I'm looking for the best way, or the best product to use, to seal a "European Skull Mount". I've got the process down pat in cleaning them and bleaching them, but I'm having a hard time finding some way of sealing them that won't "yellow" over time. Most of the spray sealers that I've used have turned slightly over time. I haven't tried the Elmer's glue and water mixture yet. Any suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED, Thanks!

2. The yellowing is probably not from the sealer. It is more than likely from grease still in the bone.

3. i use a coat of mod podge matte and i believe it looks the best. plus you can remove it under hot water.

4. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

paraloid

5. wolf249

wolf249 New Member

AA++1

6. MR.Ed

MR.Ed New Member

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Yep, Paraloid. Do a search on here for it. It will NOT yellow. A lot of your yellowing can also be cigarette smoke if it's in that sort of area but more than likely grease that was still in there.

8. i use Elmer's glue and water mixture and never had it trun yellow on me so give it a try

9. Great responses, I've got several skulls that I can try the different recommendations on. Thanks to everyone for your input!

10. Kevin W.

Kevin W. New Member

I have used "Krylon Matte Finish(1311)"spray with nice results. I have skulls that I finished with this several years ago and still no yellowing. Good Luck.

11. BamaHuntin

BamaHuntin Member

I've got a few skulls to do thats going in my huntin clubs cabin and alot of them smoke.When I use the parloid sealer does the cigarette smoke stain the bone or can I just rinse off to clean it.Any tips?
    James

12. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you let the skulls sit in the paraloid and let it soak in some, it effectively plasticizes the bone. You should be able to freely wash it or dust it off but be aware that nicotine is just plain nasty and pretty much stains anything it touches.

13. elkman

elkman hunter I guided for 2006

thats why no one is allowed to smoke in my showroom, NO ONE, one guy tried to light up and I just had to point to my sign, heck I have over 80 mounts in there, they are important to me, if someone likes to smoke, I have no problem with that , just not here in my showroom, I have had to clean way too many yellowed mounts to want to do it to mine

14. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

same as kevin