1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Homemade Tan & Pickle????

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Leland1, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Leland1

Leland1 New Member

I just finished fleshing a rabbit hide and its now in a Dawn and warm water mixture fir degreasing. What do I do next and Is there and way I can make a homwmade pickle and tan?? And what prosses do I need to take?

2. moongast01

moongast01 My first love is God my second is My Wife....

I dont know of any home made tan best to buy somekind like EZ 100 or Lutan F

3. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

The biggest no,no is useing warm water. I certainly hope for your sake you dont get any slippage.. as far as tanning at home yes the ez-100 will work

but for something as small as a rabbit. I prefer dry preservative. Jus my opinion.

4. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

2 qts water 2 qts vinegar 1 lb salt This will pickle. Order some liqua-tan and follow instructions.

5. Leland1

Leland1 New Member

Ok. I appreceate that. How long do I leave it in the degreaser and how long in the pickle?? Then what do I do If I dont wanna tan it right after pickling.

6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Pickling is a part of the tanning process and I wouldn't recommend separating the two. I would stop now, wring it out, (don't let it completely dry), put it in a plastic bag and then into the freezer until you're ready to tan it (pickle and tan) or DP it and mount - assuming you're going to mount it. Do your research before you begin, decide what you're going to do and how you're going to do it. THEN get all your materials needed together and proceed.