1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Making Squirrel bodies adjustable to any poses....

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by LionHeart, Jan 26, 2009.

1. pretty impresive lion heart, thanks for sharing

2. akcrottweiler

akcrottweiler New Member

LoinHeart, thanks for sharing. I'm going Squirrel hunting after work if i can sleep tonight.

3. Great job, love all the different poses you came up with!

4. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

Thanks guys :).

Just finished one tonight, well, not finished but it's drying, will see how it looks in a couple of days and post pics. I am learning new things everyday 8) now .... remembering them is a whole different game :eek: and it's not getting any better lolll, that memory of mine has failed me before. loll.

Good night, time to go sleep.

5. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

One done, it still needs a bit of drying and grooming, the final touch but it gives a good idea how it turns out with these "flexible" bodies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

After seeing how LionHeart did his squirrel, I figured I'd give it a shot with a rabbit. It worked great.
    It took about a half an hour to do it, and I only have about $3 in material into it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

Redwolf,

Niiice rabbit 8), I am very glad it worked, super ;D. I have 2 hermines to mount ( soon I hope), will post pics once done. As for the cost, like you stated, a couple of $$ is all it takes for building the bodies.

Again, great work ;D

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm not about to go into telling you guys the anatomical inaccuracies in those mounts, but I will say this is just one more reason people should use commercial manikins.

9. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

George you may see a problem, but everyone who has walked in here and see it, love it. 9 out of 10 customers don't know the difference. I'm not about to enter a wrapped body mount in a competition though.
    We all know your against wrapping body's mammal, or bird.
    But then again your against Krowtann, and white gas. :p ;)

10. akcrottweiler

akcrottweiler New Member

I have 10 squirrles to mount for myself and @ $20.00 Bucks a form is too much money for tree rats. Nice looking rabbit redwolf.

11. George

Well, then SOMEONE isn't charging enough for the squirrel mount. It would take more than $20 worth of my time to wrap a body when I didn't have to.

Whether I like or dislike anything has no relevance to the accuracy of the mount I want to produce PERIOD. I know lots of people who refuse to mount squirrels because even AT BEST, they're a difficult animal to pull off. CHARGE ACCORDINGLY, but never forget that the guy willing to pay you to do the squirrel is going to look at it and see if he wants you to do his deer mount, his elk mount or his moose mount. Everything you produce is a calling card of your talent and I simply don't try to bargain with that. Those squirrels look exactly like the ones I did in 1958 and I'm simply not going backwards in what I do.

12. akcrottweiler

akcrottweiler New Member

Yea, george you have a good point. That is why i have them skin out and in the freezer. Time is money and wrapping will take me along time plus making the head.

13. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

It took me a half hour to make the body. It takes a week to get a form mailed to me. It cost $3 in material. How is it not time/cost effective?

14. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

I may just have to try this one day... but carving a head from foam and rying to get it correctly shaped and proportionate may take me weeks :D

15. George

Bob, I apologize for telling you that you have an ugly baby. If YOU can justify it and the results you get, then who am I to say you shouldn't. I often hear this about "It takes 3 weeks to get the form in", but it only takes me 3 days. Since I make an order 6 months in advance of any work I'm doing, that doesn't bother me at all.

16. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

No need to apologize George. It's your opinion.

17. you know what . im going to give this a shot.

18. PickledLex

PickledLex New Member

US
    Haha, those are awesome. Thanks for sharing!

19. Redwolf nice drum seat lol

20. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

;D Ya like that? :D
    I had to get rid of the set I had, but the seat still still comes in handy. ;)