1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Making Squirrel bodies adjustable to any poses....

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by LionHeart, Jan 26, 2009.

1. miguel1253

miguel1253 New Member

mui mui good I think your work interesting for beginners step by step to start up their own jobs, but they say a picture is worth a thousand words, thanks for all please see if I could put a tutorial on the same system for birds. thanks (SPAIN)

2. snowhare

snowhare New Member

IF YOU HAD THE LEGBONES IN , THAT WOULD HAVE SAVED YOU A HECK OF A LOT OF TIME MAKING THAT FRAMEWORK INSTED YA NO

AND THE LEGS LOOK SO TNIY AND THIN , MABY A BABY SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

I kinda half to agree with George again, man, I am saying that alot these days!(LOL) You need to be charging for your time, 20.00 a form isn't much if you are charging enough. I get 300.00 for my squirrels and get more to do every year. Some guys don't even get that for their wts. I didn't used to like doing them, but if I am going to take them in, my clients are going to get a good squirrel mount. God know we all have seen bad ones. This was an interesting turtorial though, thank you for sharing.

4. snowhare

snowhare New Member

IF YOU GET 300 HUNDRED FOR THEM , THAN ILL MOVE TO THE USA SRAIGHT NEXT YEAR AND BECOME VERY RITCH ;D ;D ;D

I DO LIKE 4 A DAY SO THATS 1200 A DAY NOT BAD AH , THAT TAKES ME ABOUT 7 HOURS TO FIX , MABY IF I WORK LONGER THAN I COULD MAKE THAT TIMES 2 2400 DOLLARS A DAY

JUST DONT BELIEVE IT ??? ???

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

With all do respect, I don't care if you believe me or not. I just mounted a few up the other day and have a few more to do. I don't do alot of squirrels and really don't care to since I can usually mount up 2 wts for the time I have in one squirrel. Like I said, I get paid for my time, and the time I have in one squirrel is alot longer than most I'm sure.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Snowhare, you missed Matt's point. We DON'T like doing them but if we're going to HAVE TO DO THEM, then we're insisting on getting paid for it. We don't GET a lot of squirrels because we're controlling our workloads by inflating the prices. Marcus Zimmerman is on the Super Seminar video along with brother Ken and Jason Snowberger when someone in the audience asks him what he charges for a squirrel. As if on cue, all three men say "$375". Why should I do a whitetail for $475 that takes me 6 hours but only charge $100 for a squirrel that takes me 3-4 to do it right?

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

George, maybe he doesn't believe you either!(LOL)

8. snowhare

snowhare New Member

NO I DONT , I AM ALWAYS A BIT ON MY GARD WITH PRISES , SO EVERY BODDY JUST CAN SAY WHAT THEY WANT , NEED PROOF SORRY , MABY IT IS THAT I AM FROM THE GREAT EUROPE , EH GEORGEY

WE DONT LIKE THEM BUT WE HAVE TO DO THEM , WELL THAT DUS NOT GOOS AT MY SHOP , IF I SAY I DONT I NEVER EVER WILL , JUST A LACK OF BACKBONE , I WILL NOT MOUT A FOX IN A MILJON YEARS , SO YOU CAN PAY ME A FRIGGING FORTUNE , NO NO NO , MONEY IS NOT ALL THERE IS MAN

BUT ON THE OTHER END THE US DOLLAR IS SO LOW IN VALLUE , THAT I ASK ALMOOST THE SAME HERE BUT THEN IN THE GREAT EURO S 200 EURO IS NOW A FINE 299, US DOLLAR
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

9. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

;D ;D ;D :eek: ;)

10. WLdLfeArt

WLdLfeArt New Member

Thanks LionHeart, that was a good tutorial. The only thing I will add that nobody mentioned is use good reference materials, and you will be able to get a good lifelike pose. Don't let the nay sayers tell you different. There is no difference between a wrapped body and a form, its basiclly the same concept. Use reference material and you will have a good quality mount anyone will enjoy. Yes I agree, in a shop when you don't have time to wrap bodies, its much more cost effective to buy forms to save on time. But if you enjoy wrapping your own bodies, I say go for it. Its a good way to learn.

11. RileyBaxter

RileyBaxter New Member

Looks neat, I might have to do this for my first mount.. Which will propably be a squirrel, if I ever get around to it I will post pics.

12. LMAO nice

13. Crimson

Crimson New Member

I'm marking this for sure - sooooo helpful!

14. Teh_Saccade

Teh_Saccade New Member

The way that I have prepared my wire-boned mounts is to simply poke the same wires that I use for bonsia through sections of polystyrene that I have carved into the 'correct' shapes for the muscles and bulk between the joints.
    I've soldered some thinner wires at the ends, after trimming right down, to allow for the 'flexi-pose' - one reservation that I've got is that if I mess with them too much, the wire will become brittle and may snap... I'm hoping that this will allow for fine tuning of the attitude once the pelt is mounted.

For the body, I have made one with a solid piece (as the forms you can buy) where I can poke the appendages' terminus into the foam to hook 'em up; I've made another one that is a tube of chicken wire, with heavy gauge wire for spine and wrapped with raffan, to allow for 'scruntching'; the other way I will now try, after reading this, is to use wood-wool (or whatever that stuff is...).

So far, I'm not too happy with how the body is shaping up to be, apart from the solid piece - they all look a bit "bubbly" and too curved and unnatural...
    However, the "Action-Man/Barbie" method of crafting solid pieces for the limbs, neck and head (and, to a lesser extent, tail - which is just a few pieces of different gauge wire, gradiating out), seems to look okay.

You know, I don't know why the body forms that you can buy do not have more adjustibility, but I guess you can do that so long as you are careful and can find a pre-formed piece that is along the same form as you want.
    Then, it's just a case or a little hacksaw and bonder action, huh?

A few questions I have about this stuff are:
    Do you also remove the bones in the feet? I have just snipped them at the ankle and injected formaline 30-1 solution, then pinned them into position. What would you use to 'fill' these with? I suppose you could inject glue, or plaster?

Which leads me onto the other question I have:
    I was gonna try to make my own form, by molding the body, and then pouring plaster or some latex with hardener (don't want it to be all jelly-like!) into that, onto which to mount the pelts...
    Has anyone any experience with that - I can't seem to find much relating to it around here - because I've thought about just sculpting or molding body forms from modelling clay but I think that may make it damp inside, which probably isn't a good thing?

Thanks for the ideas, man ;)

15. April Payne

April Payne New Member

Very cute poses. I like your idea about making the joints movable for easier posing. Even if it is an old idea being refreshed. I'm not very keen on wrapping bodies, but if I ever do then I am definitely using this method.

16. George

Did either of you look at my method in the tutorial? Its "Mounting tube skinned small game". Why does anyone NEED a "flexible" joint? Would you feel that way about a life-size large animal? Excelsior will work but there are so much better mediums out there. Plastic foam is one but us old guys started out with carving balsa wood.

17. irishme

irishme New Member

You know that is impressive work.
    However,
    I accomplish very I mean very lifelike work using SAWDUST, VERY FINE SAWDUST TO FILL BODY AND SHAPE ANY WAY I LIKE.
    IT IS A GREAT,FAST,ECONOMIC, WAY TO MOUNT SQUIRRELS.

Not putting your very skilled way down.
    JUST SAYING, as an alternative.

18. George

Timber Ghost, that too is an antiquated method. Sawdust is too sensitive to humidity to be a viable medium. Excelsior is bad enough. Today, vermiculite is better received and will not be effected by temperature or humidity. If you want a "cheap" medium, use what I used as a kid: SAND. Sand works especially well and is completely inert, but I challenge any of you to match your best attempt with sand OR SAWDUST up against a quality wrapped form OR BETTER YET, a molded plastic foam form.