1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Building a Small Tumbler: Part 1

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by stuffenstuff, Jan 26, 2009.

1. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

Recently I had a picture of my home made tumbler online. I have had numerous PM's in reguards to how I built this. Speed, RPM ect...
    I am going to have to break this into parts. I will do this as I build it. Currently, Wendy and I have the frame complete. This tumbler is smaller in drum size opposed to the one I had posted. This drum will be 27 x 18 for approxmately 37 gallons. You can use these same plans to cater to your needs. I am by far no wood working expert and only own a handful of wood working tools. If I can make one, anyone can make one.I was looking in a Van Dyke catalog and tumblers run as much as 800.00 and I hear shipping is a killer as they are drop shipped and oversized. I see some of the motors only being 1/20 hp. I will be using a 1/9 hp on this one. I paid 20.00 and 11.00 shipping off ebay. It has an rpm of 27 and I will be gearing it down to 13 rpm. Mostly used for birds. I have plans on doing one for mammals that will turn at 21 rpm. I will be trying to do this one for under 200.00.

Tools needed:
    miter saw, drill, 1/8" drill bit and phillips bit.

Supplies for Part 1:
    (3)- 2 x 3 x 96 we chose to use 2 x 3 instead of 2 x 4
    1 small box of 3" drywall screws
    1 small box of 2" drywall screws
    1 bottle of wood glue
    paint and brush (optional)

This laser saw was on sale this week at Sears for $99.00
    [​IMG]

First start by cutting (4) 20" pieces of 2 x 3 one end at 45 degrees and the other at 19 degrees.

[​IMG]

Next cut (2) 10' pieces with both ends cut at 22.5 degrees, this will be for the top of the frame.

Next cut (2) 16" pieces with both ends cut at 22.5 degrees, this will be the center brace of the frame.

[​IMG]

Next assemble the first frame end which should look like an "A" At all of our joints, we predrilled with a 1/8" drill bit to prevent the wood from splitting. We also used drywall screws instead of nails as the grip is 60% stronger. Additionally, at all the joints, we used wood glue for added strength.

[​IMG]

Next assemble your second frame end just as above. When put together, you may have "rabbit ears" as Wendy is pointing to in the photo above. Just mark and remove them.

You should have this at this point.

[​IMG]

Next cut (2) pieces 32" long, both will be straight cuts. This piece will connect to both frame ends which will make the base for our tumbler. Secure one end of the wood to the side of a frame end then secure to the other frame end to the wood. Repeat for the other side. Remember to predrill and use wood glue for added strength.

At the end of this step you should have the base for your tumbler.
    [​IMG]

At this point, we painted our frame and let it dry over night.

[​IMG]

Today we built the base for the motor to set on, this will work for most motors as most motors have a 4 hole base plate to mount to. Mine did not, so I will clamp mine in place and use a rubber pad along with this base. This works for side shaft as well as front shaft motors.

[​IMG]

As you can see in the pic, I had added an extra piece of 2"x 3" along the bottom of the frame on the motor side. This is to help with torque as well as hold the motor base in place. All I did for this peice was hold an over sized peice of wood behind where I wanted it, and marked it with a pencil, then cut for a perfect fit. See above pic. Next I had a scrap piece of 2 x 2 that I cut to 6 1/2" and mounted it to our frame this will support our 8" top base plate. You can see in the above picture I am securing it to the frame.

Next I cut (2) pieces of 3/4" plywood 8" x 8". One piece for the motor base and I cut the other one in half again for the motor plate supports.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This completes the motor base plate to the frame. You can see approxmately how the motor will sit.

[​IMG]

In this pic you can see that this frame is more than sturdy enough. I am 6', 240 lbs. and it easily supports me and the wood glue is not even dry yet.

We will continue this base as soon as the hardware arrives as I have purchased sprockets, pillow block barings, ect.. off ebay. As we continue, I will list the part numbers I used and where I purchased them from. Additionally, you can modify the length of this base by replacing two pieces of wood, I seen ebay had 30 gallon plastic drum for 15.00 buy it now and 10.00 shipping. Or you can build your drum out of wood as mine will be. Until next week. ;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/v
    v124/wendylg628/tumbler/e9d2819f.jpg

2. HUNT2DAY

HUNT2DAY New Member

Can't wait for Part 2

3. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

thanks, I hope this will help you.

4. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Thanks for posting this, I need a tumbler badly. maybe I can have my dad help me build this as I am not mechanically inclined at all. lol. can't wait to see part 2.

5. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

If I can be of help Nina let me know, just pay material and shipping. Dave

6. BMan40

BMan40 New Member

Ok it has been three days now - we're waiting ?????

LOL Just kidding
    cant wait to see the rest I am going to start looking for a motor now.
    B

7. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Looks like its off to a good start!

8. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

Good deal. Might be easier to do a tutourial when finished though as MP does? thanks though this will be nice.

9. Justink

Justink New Member

awesome can't wait for part 2

10. Jay Addy

Jay Addy New Member

I'm new to this forum and have enjoyed reading the how too's. I'm interested in making a tumbler. The pictures are not in your tutorial. I was wondering if you could email the tutorial with pictures to me. I would really appreciate it. If you can, please send it to [email protected]
    Thank you very much.

11. NE CO HHT

NE CO HHT New Member

Pics aren't working anymore. :( Can you get them back up please.

12. shockme2

shockme2 New Member

X2 ;D

13. HUNTERSZ

HUNTERSZ New Member

What is deal why aren't the pics working on this page?