1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

quesion for lisa m

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by born2shoot, Jan 27, 2009.

1. born2shoot

born2shoot New Member

when you put the two part foam on your habitat, could you use eaxpaning foam from a can
    thanks

2. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Obviously, I'm not Lisa, but the answer to your question is NO! Just another little thing learned the "hard way", many years ago.

3. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

OF, I'm going to disagree. For forms, yes, 2 part foam is a must. But for habitat, the Great Stuff type canned foam is okay.

Born...if you're referring to a method that oldterryr showed us in one of his tutorials, here's what I can tell you. Try your ideas. You've seen how Terry told us. If your idea works better for you, fine. Use it. If it doesn't, then that's learning things the hard way as OF says. Either way, you're sure to learn as you go.

Good luck & have fun. ;)

4. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

I used it quite a bit, many years ago for small bases. In about 4 years they fell apart, just crumbled away like rotted wood.

5. Lisa M

Ah...good to know OF. None of my habitat is that old yet. Thank you. Makes me wonder how the stuff under our house is doing...we use it around the holes for the water spigot etc. Hmmmmm. It's about 10 years old. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Probably better check on that...

6. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Lisa, when you consider what the product was designed for, filling irregular and hard to reach spaces, it's pretty protected in those uses. I've used it for that and everything is fine. Left out, expposed to light and who knows what, it didn't hold up for me.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa. And here I thought we'd taught you better than that. LMAO

8. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Well said George.

9. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

There is an expanding foam that they use in rock gardens and water falls...wonder how that would work?
    http://www.pondpetsusa.com/miscellaneous/pur_black_foam.html

10. any foam product that is not covered with some sort of material
    the Ultra Violet rays will turn it in to dust in time

11. born2shoot

born2shoot New Member

i saw in one of the tutorials that the can expanding foam was used but it was called great stuff for cracks i think and is hard when it cures

12. Lisa M

Yes Born...Great Stuff is the same thing and I have used it. It does get hard.

The way that I use it is: I get wood the size I want my final habitat to be...usually particle board. I squirt the canned foam on it in the general shape I want...not totally flat, but no big blobs any where. Then I take some tissue paper...yes...regular tissue paper like for wrapping around a gift inside a gift box. I lay the tissue paper over the foam, BEFORE it comes close to curing. If the animal is going to be laying down in the habitat, I have put the animal inside a plastic bag...making ABSOLUTELY sure that NONE of the foam can get on the animal. Then I set the critter down on the foam. If you just put the plastic bagged animal down on the foam, it won't cure correctly. Air has to be able to get to the foam for it to cure.

Also, if you want to add some texture to the whole thing, one way you can do it is by sprinkling some dirt/sand on the top of the foam before it cures.

But even with adding the sand/dirt that way, I still end up covering the entire piece with dirt/sand/moss/paint/sticks/leaves/pine cones/boughs/artificial plants...all sorts of things. The foam isn't ever actually seen by the customer. I use it because it's light and makes a great filler.

Maybe because I cover it so thoroughly, the light won't get to it and it won't break down like OF and (apparently) others have seen.

After I'm all done, I line the bottom of the piece with felt. I tried doing that step earlier in the process...ended up getting crap all over the felt. Yeah, no one would notice it probably, but I knew it was there. So now I do the felting at the end. And I put large tacks around the bottom too...sorta hold it up off the table. Maybe when I have time I'll do a tutorial too. That'd be interesting to do one of my own.

For larger things, I like chicken wire, paper mache & paint. They're all fun, and I'm sure some folks will have their favorites, no matter what one person says. ;) Good luck.

Oh...OF, Ivan says the stuff under the house is fine. Thanks for making me look though.

13. born2shoot

born2shoot New Member

thank lisa!
    i just wanted to try something now, i iwll be getting the 2 part foam later on , which one would you suggest

14. Lisa try misting water where you want to spray your foam
    then mist again after you have sprayed foam
    helps to set up faster
    an old insulators trick
    Wayne

15. Lisa M

I use whatever I happen to have. If I'm altering a form, I always end up mixing a little too much. So I pour it out on news paper in an interesting/useable shape. Then I can carve it if necessary & use it where I want. If I have the can stuff handy, I use it. Little tip...if you don't use the whole can, and the nozzle gets filled with hardened foam, run a little laquer thinner in it. It eats the foam & voila! the nozzle works again. ;)

Thanks for the tip Wayne. ;)

16. born2shoot

born2shoot New Member

Thanks lisa,
    does it matter what 2 pART FOAM you use, and does it each away at any kinds of styrofoam

17. Lisa M

You're welcome. But huh? "Each away at any kinds"? What are you talking about? I don't understand.

The 2 part foam I have is Van Dykes Polyurethane.

I'm not going to hold your hand through this born. Just give it a shot! You'll learn more doing it yourself! ;) Have fun...get after it. Go. Do it. ;)

18. born2shoot

born2shoot New Member

sorry i ment to say does it eat away the foam,

also do you put anything on the foam so the spray paint doesnt eact away at the styrofoam or am i just using the wrong styrofoam
    thanks