1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bear rug

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by cloudycr, Jan 29, 2009.

1. cloudycr

cloudycr New Member

What's the best way to attatch the backing on a bear rug

2. cwt

cwt Active Member

send it out to a proffessional rugging company

3. animalstuffer

animalstuffer New Member

I 2nd that

4. I use hot glue if its hot enough it works very well

5. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

"Best" is a subjective term. Here's at least one thread where we discussed this at length farther along in the thread. ;)

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,118768.0.html

I recently purchased an industrial strength sewing machine. It went through 6 layers of felt like it was 2 layers of cotton. :eek:! I've sewn on big machines before...but I LOVE having my own. I also bought a pinking machine off of ebay so that I don't have to hand cut all the felt. I used to use a rotary cutter but the machine will make it sooooooo much easier & I'll just have my kids help out. ;D

Anyway...got side tracked...sorry. Hot glue is acceptable for most commercial work. A better/longer lasting way is to sew them. It takes a long time...especially if you're doing it by hand. But IMHO it'll give a better product. ;) Good luck.

6. I have been a professional rugmaker for the industry for 21+ years and when a taxidermist or a client entrusts me with their rugmaking, they deserve the best quality work and materials available, and that is 'sewing' the felt or leather border to the rug with an industrial sewing machine. I have put many rugs back together with an industrial sewing machine that had been hot glued by other taxidermists and had come apart. Haste makes waste and short changing your client by using inferior techniques when a better technique is available, will come back to bite you in a negative way down the road.

A taxidermist friend of mine once said, " Would you buy a leather coat that was hot glued together"?

Regards,
    Mary

7. Send it off to some kind of rugging company

8. akmike

akmike Member

if there is a bear rug you can look at and inspect it and you like the way it looks go for it as for glueing or sewing it is like bondo or ear linners both works I have a 81/2 ft brown bear done in 1989 with glue and it is still fine and shows no sign of coming apart if you sew it you still have to glue the paws and rug shell to the hide .If you have acsess to a sewing machine capable of sewing thru leather and can figure out how to hide the stiches it works also. done with good products they both work.