1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

getting ready to mount goat head

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by crimestopper29, Jan 30, 2009.

1. crimestopper29

crimestopper29 New Member

this is my first time ever to mount a goat got any suggestions on where to start?

2. Bob Coughlin

Bob Coughlin New Member

At what point are you ? Is it skinned or do you have to skin it. Is it tanned and ready to mount?

3. crimestopper29

I haven't started , i need to skin and cape it. thanks for the reply.

4. Bob Coughlin

Bob Coughlin New Member

Skin as you would any other game head. I would highly recomend having the cape tanned. Even tanned one will still retain a slight oder. The horns are going to have to be removed from the cores. As far as the mounting goes. Keep an eye on the horn set. On a lot of mounts I see the horns are set at to much of an angle. Kinda like a deer. This is not correct. They're kinda in between a sheep ( almost straight out of the skull ) and a deer. USE REFERENCE. Another thing, stay away from those yellow eyes ! I would recommend something more like a red deer coloration. Oh, another thing I'd like to mention,the ears. Most goat ears droop somewhat. They dont normally "stand up" like a deer.

5. crimestopper29

thanks for the advice will make a great deal of help

6. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

I have to disagree with you Bob, sorry.
    A red deer eye colour?
    Some goats do have yellow eyes. Crimestopper, you have the head, be guided by that animal.
    Light yellow:
    [​IMG]
    Dark yellow:
    [​IMG]

7. crimestopper29

thanks it does have yellow eyes

8. Bob Coughlin

Bob Coughlin New Member

I meant the bright yellow eyes . I've seen some that a certain eye company has sold that were almost as yellow as a great horned owl. I wouldn't concider the top photo yellow. I'd say it was a more pale straw.

9. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

Yeah...I guess I would too now that you mention it.