1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cut short

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Diamondhitch, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

I am pretty sure that this is too short but since I dont do many elk I figured I would post this here for opinions. This is a 36" cape so I would hate to buy a form then find out it is too short and have to try to find another 36". Probably much easier to find a 32-34" and the customer is fine with that but would of course like to use his cape if possible. The customer would rather buy a new cape than shorten up a form to fit what is left.

Let me know what you guys think.

2. I got a red stag in the other day cut just like that I'm gonna cut the back of the form off and bondo another piece of plywood to the back.

3. theirs no brisket to SHORT BY FAR new cape

4. You could mount it as a pedistal mount and use a rock where the bricket would be for a stand. Just a thought...

5. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Thats a good idea..... or use the wall mounting rocks/wood McKenzie has and build up aditional rocks infront for a wall mount if the guy doesnt have room for a pedastal in his house. Would be cheaper than a new cape for the guy and you could get creative with it. WCL

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

You could always do this with it, God know's I've had plenty of practice this season already!(LOL)

7. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Yeah thats what I was talkin about. Love that praire goat Matt. Do you make those stones or where do you order them from if ya dont mind me askin. WCL

8. Diamondhitch

Thanks, you guys are confirming what I realy already knew. I just figured I would put it out there though because on the couple elk that I have done (long ago) I had what I thought to be a bit more than necicary and it turned out to be alot more than necisary.

I thought about the McKenzie rocks but in this case he wants to hang it above his stairs and I think it would make the mount too tall for his space.

This guy had to pack his elk out 2 miles so he was trying to cut his cape barely long enough so it would be lighter, I am sure it was slightly but I think removing the 30lb of attached meat chunks would have been a better plan!

BTW nice mounts matt and thanks for the suggestions.

9. Matt

Matt Active Member

WCL, I make my own in the shop, that way they fit anything I need to hide!(LOL)

10. This looks like an outstanding Elk cape if the brisket hadn't been cut short. This can be repaired by sewing the entire brisket back. All you need is an elk cape that someone has that's got this brisket attached and cut out that brisket and then trim your elk's brisket an go for it. Sometimes guys get one that's totally shot up in the upper areas and save the rest for repairs. I have done several of these and you couldn't tell the difference. So, go to the Wanted section and ask for an elk cape for spare parts like you need just the front brisket area and you will be surprised as to who might just have one. As a matter of fact I will check my Hugh supply of spare skins and parts and get back with you. Good Luck.

Best,

John Griffith
    www.griffithtaxidermy.com
    Stearns, Kentucky

11. Diamondhitch

Thanks John, Good idea but dont you have issues with matching hair color?