1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

staining apoxie sculpt?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by D.W.M., Feb 2, 2009.

1. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

I bought two racks on ebay. I got them today one nice 8 point and a 7 point rack with 15 1/2 " spread. The seven point rack was cut into with a band saw :-\ I decided to fix it so I replaced the cut area with apoxie sculpt. My question is whats the best way to stain or paint it ? I know that apoxie sculpt is not the easiest thing in the world to stain. I was actually thinking of misting in some white paint over the apoxie sculpt and staining it from there. Not sure of the best way?

2. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

Get some artists oil Or acrylic paint in a tube. You could finish that repair with just burnt umber. Apply paint & rub off partially to hilight some areas. You control the shade of the paint by wiping some off til you reach the desired color.

3. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

Thanks Bill

4. strutnbuck

strutnbuck New Member

Check with Nina, I think she just did a tutorial on one that she repaired....

dont know how to link it, but its subject reads:

Fixing someone else's mistakes

5. otis

otis New Member

i had the same problem the other day.i did the same thing as bill mentioned it worked fine.good luck

6. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

Just curious how much did they go for

7. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

Well I finished them I guess it came out ok.

Scrubby I got the two for $ 25 with shipping came out to $ 35.26