1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

is it safe to mix acetone and BO

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by MattHCT, Feb 2, 2009.

1. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

I have some residual bo in a tub with a skull and I was gona soak it in acetone to degrease but is it safe to have acetone and BO come in contact

2. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

The awnser to that question is probably NO! You are playing with fire! Have you read the warnings on both of these products? You should not have to ask. NEVER mix flamables or mix anything for that matter when in doubt. Read the warnings on these products. They have been posted THOUSANDS of times. Come here so I can slap you ;D ;D

3. buckhunting101

buckhunting101 Hides N Stuff Taxidermy

Now now RD be nice.Ive made plenty mistakes in my time ;D

4. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

;D ;D The one mentioned above could be your last. ;) ;D

Acetone or High Volume H2o2 is nothing to play with. These are both SERIOUS explosives. Even in small amounts. It only takes one time to screw up. Use EXTREME caution. I don't mean to sound like a a$$ but some 12 year old might think its OK because he read it on a Forum. ITS NOT OK. ;D ;D

5. buckhunting101

Word

6. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

RD. Just be gental. LOL. Just so you all don't think I'm totally reckless. When I said MIX I ment that as the skulls I took out of BO were still damp with BO and I was gona put them in a acetone bath. Just wanted to check before I did to be sure the damp skull qith BO didn't react. Thanks folks :)

7. chasintail

chasintail New Member

That dampness can still blow you up. Do a google search on "mother of satan" Seems the iraqi's like that exact mixture for blowing large objects into little tiny bits. I put a BO damp skull in acetone once and watched as little tiny snowflake looking crystals sank to the bottom of the bucket. I quickly realized what I did and dumped the works very gently on my burn pile. Luckily it was one of my skulls....I retrieved it a few days later after it had rained. :eek:

8. buckhunting101

so what where the snowflake like crystals the result of the reaction?Is that the explosive part?I am a pyrotechy but i aint gonna mess with this stuff for sure just wanna know.

9. chasintail

chasintail New Member

I'm guessing so. I didn't try to build a snowman out of them, just got rid of it quicly and carefully.

10. buckhunting101

yeah lol.Were studying this stuff in science class.Pretty cool but also prety dangerous lol

11. chasintail

chasintail New Member

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=acetone+peroxide&aq=0&oq=acetone+

12. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

static electricity could and most likely ignite acetone. particles in used acetone or even clean acetone could be a problem with bo. bombs are not that hard to make.

13. buckhunting101

wait so your telling me that i shouldnt wear clothes or stand on carpet when working with acetone? ;D

14. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

if you do that you might want to at least wear a cup ;D

unless you don't plan on having kids ;D

15. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

there ya go.....seeing is believing...

16. buckhunting101

yes sir all man right hear ;D

17. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

No, it is not safe and even in residual quantities it is not a good practice. How long does it take to rinse the H2O2 out of the tub and off of the skull?

Do you have an MSDS for H2O2 ? For acetone? If not, then you shouldn't be using it.

Congrats, you get the nice quote...

and an excerpt from the MSDS..

10. STABILITY AND REACTIVITY

Stability and Reactivity Summary: May become unstable at elevated temperatures and/or pressure. Not sensitive to mechanical shock. Not sensitive to static discharge.
    Conditions to Avoid: Contamination, Avoid concentrating the hydrogen peroxide. Concentrated hydrogen peroxide solutions are reactive, [size=20pt]often violently, with a wide range of inorganic and organic chemicals.[/size], Sparks, open flame, other ignition sources, and elevated temperatures.
    Chemical Incompatibility: strong reducing agents, Contact with combustible materials may cause a fire., copper & copper alloys, ferrous metals, brass, Bases
    Hazardous Decomposition Products: Oxygen is a decomposition product of hydrogen peroxide. The generation of oxygen will increase the burning rate or ignitable materials.
    Decomposition Temperature: No data

18. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Thank you Cyclone. I'd rather not be reading about members here in the obits. The answer is ABSOLUTELY NOT!

19. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Cyclone:

Seems to me that it would be more ideal to soak the skull in acetone first to degrease, air dry until the acetone volatilized, then immerse in peroxide.

20. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Good point joeym.

From the original post I have only to assume the worst case scenario that he wanted to dump the acetone into the container with residual BO and the skull. The BO could be pooled in pockets within the skull as well. A little oxidizer (peroxide) will go a long way when acetone is concerned..all you need is the slightest spark....static discharge would do it...