1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mold Help

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by ymszxtq, Jan 5, 2007.

1. ymszxtq

ymszxtq New Member

I am new to all this and I REALLY need some help! I am wanting to mold duck decoys, but I'm wanting to use rubber instead of plastic or foam. Can someone give me some ideas on where to start (i.e.type of rubber, what material mold would be made of, etc)? Thanks!

2. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Why don't you make your mold from fiberglass? I think there's enough details to copy a decoy... First another half and then another. Actual decoy could be made from foam and then painted,right? Or am I understanding right your question?

3. ymszxtq

ymszxtq New Member

Well, I am wanting the decoy to be actually made of rubber instead of a plastic decoy. So, I didn't know if I needed a fiberglass, aluminum, or what for a mold.

4. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

fiberglass or silicone with a fiberglass mother mold. If you go with silicone, it will have to be platinum based silicone, tin will not withstand heat. Speaking of heat, look into the type of rubber used in the sex toy business. This is not a joke- I am dead serious about this. They use a rubber that you heat on a burner and melts at a really low temp and then pour into a mold and slush it around and it cools really quickly. Dave