1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Venting Bondo/resin fumes

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Ihntdeer, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Ihntdeer

Ihntdeer Member

I recently attended a molding class w/ Josh and made my first attempt at a cast of the mold. Luckily I did it while my wife was at work. When she got home the whole house smelled of resin/bondo. I am doing this work in my basement is there anything that I could use to vent/eliminate the odor so it does not travel through the house?

2. antlermike

antlermike Active Member

My wife cant stand it so in the winter i try to do it outside when its above 55 degrees.

3. The gases put out from the curing process are heavy and tend to build from the floor up in my fiberglass shop we use exhaust fans at floor level

4. toxic stuff, and of course I'm sure you use a good vapor filtering mask right! :) I'm still working on my set up, I have one exhaust fan and it's just not enough to keep the apartment fume free. Good luck with your situation!

5. You will need to vent it outside and have an intake vent as well.
    I crack a window on the other side of the room and my fan takes most of it out.
    of course when its cold its makes for a cold studio.
    but without that open window the air wont escape easily.

perhaps a squirrel cage fan with a tube hooked to the output going outside.
    You can replace the window with a board and run the vent output through the board.
    I used this method for years and it worked great,I am thinking of going back to that method as my latest contraption allows cold air in, and isnt too cat friendly from the outside
    And yes wear a respirator!!! the only reason I didn't when you were hear is so we could talk while working.
    I actually wear mine all the time when I am working now.
    I didnt used to but I do now.

I am lucky, my wife is a sculptor so she doesn't remind the smell at all. LOL

6. The fumes on the new resins like the iso resin is very low and while working the resin itself no mask needed but when spraying gel coat and running resin chop gun a vapor is omitted and you have wear a mask this with good exhaust and the air in a 40 x 40 building is replaced every 2 minutes the gel coating and chop gun are used in there own booths where the air is exchanged immediately use alot of a/c filters daily at exhaust fans that catch the gel coat and resin vapors and mist to keep buildup down on exhaust blades.

7. Fishman

Fishman Member

I buy some supplies from an old guy that does boat repairs and makes custom fiberglass tanks. He has all the right safety exaust systems and is 87 years old, in good health still going to work with this stuff.

8. newbirdman

newbirdman Active Member

Aways try to do fiberglass work outside . That smell will remain in the house for a week . Even if the weather is 32 degrees , you can still do it outside, just use more hardner. Rick