1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Coyote Decoy

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Hoosiertaxman, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Hoosiertaxman

Hoosiertaxman Papa's Pride & Joy

I had a potential customer call me up last night wanting a coyote decoy. I've done several decoys using dense foam forms, but he has some video of a guy using a decoy that rolls up and uses dowel rods to hold it up. Has any one attempt antthing like this? I thought about using cotton batting, but how in the hell would it keep its shape? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....If not I will probally send this guy on down the road.............Bill

2. Patrick J

Patrick J You've got me mistaken for someone else

You might check out www.montanadecoy.com and see if this is what the guy is thinking of. Heck I had a scrapped together coyote on a form and used it for years with MAJOR success.........plus I left it in the front yard standing under the overhang on the daylight basement. I had so many people ask me what it was..........."Well it's my huntin dog"

3. Patrick J

Patrick J You've got me mistaken for someone else

I should add that the montana decoys are just a 3D picture on fabric and the center is just a piece of spring steel like a slinky. Then the rods attach. I haven't looked at their prices for a few years but my deer, elk, and antelope were only like $100 each when they first started selling them

Oh hell I just looked at the price. At $49.95 your could either buy it and charge him $100 or be a nice guy and direct him to that site

4. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Ive done a few using raccoons.. I put a coat hanger up into the head, which you can stuff with whatever you want, heck a foam head would work, doesnt even need eyes, the coat hangers ares used to help the body hold its shape and to hold the decoy up... I stuffed it with cotton batting and smashed it around til the shape was looking good. Stuff batting down into each leg or just let them hang...

On a coyote frame Id make a saw horse type frame that you can slide the legs togther to transport, stuff with batting and walaa instant decoy. Its doesnt have to look good, since its probably gonna get dirty, wet, grass etc on it... And the coyotes dont care if its not perfect..

5. Hoosiertaxman

Hoosiertaxman Papa's Pride & Joy

Thanks Patrick ,Royal Oaks