1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Second Bird - First Mal-LARD

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Limbhanger66, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Limbhanger66

Limbhanger66 New Member

I put this guy together yesterday......it took me 10 hours to get this sucker completed from fleshing to picture ready. Its ok to laugh.....I know it sounds slow..... I just cant stop tweaking, primping, and adjusting and all of the sudden more hours burn by. Making it do what the reference shows IS NOT EASY. No challenges for me anytime soon.
    All of you guys and gals that can do 2, or 3 day with the quality I see here is definitely inspiring.

Thanks to all of you who share all the great info make it easy for beginners who are willing to soak it in. RDA, Nancy, Wingman, George, Gulfcoast, etc thank you for sharing. A special thank you to fellow Oregonian, Jeremy who has taken me under his internet wing and pm's me back and forth with all my questions.

Anyway, I know he isnt perfect but I like him. I notice in the picture I need to tape that scap down......let me know what else.....Thanks everyone !!

[​IMG]

2. jsbirds

jsbirds I think I can, I think I can...

It looks really nice.

3. i think it looks beautiful.... what is a scap? thats a new one

4. RDA

RDA Active Member

hes refering to the scapular feather groups the extreme inside of each wing has tertial feathers ans scapulars that lay over the wing when folded

and NICE 2nd bird!!! :eek:

5. Limbhanger66

Limbhanger66 New Member

Thanks! You guys are good instructors.

6. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Yep for you second...plus it being a tender skinned grease ball....WELL DONE! I already PMed you bought underneath the chin transition, move those Alula feathers out a bit and you caught the scaps already. You have some drumming issues going on with the top of the wings that can be fixed with some carding and do a little more grooming on the top of the wing closet to veiwer in the pic. With out more pics Thats all I really see, and it looks darn good

7. bulldawg

bulldawg Member

very nice! 10 hours would be fast in my book ;D

8. Extremely well done for your second! Keep it up.

9. mitchson1

mitchson1 New Member

great job

10. Brando24

Brando24 Member

Looks great, It takes me awhile to do one too, but i dont care.

11. RMW

RMW New Member

Very Nice!

12. KAT

KAT New Member

excellent Job!!

13. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Yes, we all like him anyway. Oops, were you referring to the mallard or Jeremy? ;D Sorry, I couldn't help it.

By the way, wonderful job on your greenhead. From the picture, I would suggest a little dark brown or black or payne's gray around the nostrils, along with dremelling them out, and the "corners" of the mouth. Mallard bill coloring varies so much, but they generally have a some degree of dark in those areas. Keep it up.

14. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

nice bird. look better than my second thats for sure.

15. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

I need to get me some of them clothes pins.. how cool are they????

Good job.. remember a bird in flight has a very flat back..

Jon~

16. Limbhanger66

Limbhanger66 New Member

Thanks Jon, my wife brought em home from Walmart, they are tiny and come in a package of 50.

17. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Nice job.

18. RF

RF Member

Very nice looking bird ;) I need some of those little clothes pins. My next trip to Wally world I will have to look for some.

19. Great Job for just your second bird, looks great