1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1st birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by tdennis, Feb 7, 2009.

1. tdennis

tdennis New Member

Hi all, I posted these in beginners and only got 2 replies so thought I would try here. I wrapped the bodies and used the orig. skulls.I see some problems but want some experienced advice for my next one. Thanks for any help!! I know the pics. aren't the best, sorry...

2. tdennis

tdennis New Member

few more

3. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Well good job on getting through your first 2, did you have fun? You picked a good species to start with. As far as the mounts I would say this. 1. They dont appear clean, you may have cleaned them well, but the dont APPEAR clean. It could be residual grease in the plumage or soap not rinsed out well or just grooming issues but if I was to guess w/o seeing them in person....I would say work on getting that plumage cleaner. 2. Grooming needs allot help on both, this comes with experience, reference study and patients. 3. The overall anatomy is off a bit.... not to bad but a bit, they are a bit long in the neck and the wings dont look real natural to me. The piece it self has allot of unnatural chaos in it....I'm not trying to be mean but just give you my opinion. The best advice I can give you at this point is this.... when folks start out they come on here and see all these WOW pieces of bird art that are posted so they want in...right? So instead of slowing down and focusing on staying simple they want to produce the big cool dynamic pieces that have that WOW factor. I f you would NOT get discouraged from these words and instead slow down...take a bird and start with a simple pose and pay attention to the mechanics and how to basics of bird Taxidermy you will be able to work up to pieces like this in the future. Not bashing you AT all...im wanting to HELP you. Good job on getting two under your belt and go mount another ;)

4. tdennis

tdennis New Member

Jeremy, PLAIN AND SIMPLE, THANK YOU! I will not get mad or take offense to a professional critique such as yours. That is exactly what I was looking for. As I said, I put these in beginners and got no help. I did really enjoy doing these and am still proud of them cuz I did them myself. I've had no training except for this site, a couple videos, and books. I did wash 3 times w/dawn, maybe not rinsed good enough as I didn't like the way the plumage looked either, but I'm learning and going to keep at it. I see what you mean on the 'WOW' effect. There are some absolutely beautiful birds on here w/ a simple piece of driftwood or plaque and that is all they need. I respect your opinion and the work you do as well as allot of other folks on this site. Some day I'll put a bird up against yours and we won't know who's is who's......LMAO!!!!!! Thanks again.

5. Mason

Mason Active Member

You have a great attitude tdennis.
    Yep getting that first one done IS a big step. Now with each one. You can refine and learn from the one before. We learned the same us you are. We still have a lot to learn yet.
    Good luck on the next ones. Keep reading and asking questions.

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

tdennis, Jeremy gave you great advice, and I agree with Mason, you have a great attitude.
    Welcome to this addiction we call bird taxidermy ;)

7. kazo

kazo New Member

Hey tdennis these guys just said what is to be said.I am a beginner just like you and I have done 10 birds since new year and each one is better then the last one.That s the way to go .We just have to listen to these guys and ask what we don't know .You did great for the 2 first birds and the habitat.Keep one going and don't give up!
    Kazo.

8. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

good looking bird. i think that jeremy got it right on eth head with the part about not appearing clean.

9. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

hey tdennis I found after you wash and rinse your bird ring all the water out as possible and then get some pain thinner pour it in to a pot and wash your bird in that. I found that it cuts the remaining grease thatwas left on the feathers and on the skin and makes the feathers shine, it makes the bird appear vary clean. The best part about washing in paint thiner it puffs the feathers up faster when you blow dry before mounting. Congrats on you first two

10. Great mounts, looks great, love the old post with the phesant, great job.