1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

found the buck.....year later..

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ryan9289, Feb 8, 2009.

1. ryan9289

ryan9289 New Member

a customer and good friend just found a nice deer that he shot last year during bow season, about 200 yards from his stand, with the arrow about 6 feet from the scull and rack...bad luck but the squirrels hadn't touched it and its in great shape.....with one exception the rack is solid white

can someone give me some good ways to turn it into a rich dark chocolate colored rack? anything would be helpful, thanks.

2. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

there are tons of posts on here and in the tutorial section on recoloring a set of antlers, you can use paints as some do, or you can use stains as others do. Lots of info on it, all you gotta do is search for it. ;)

3. ryan9289

ryan9289 New Member

thanks! ill do that.

4. G. Cline

G. Cline Member

I have the same situation. My question is what is the best way to clean them up. There are some dark spots that IMO would not be natural if they were left there. Power Wash?

5. Search, staining antlers.

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

Before you get into an indepth staining process, you might try what George has suggested many times. A 50/50 mix of linseed oil and turpentine might restore it without anyother coloring.

7. swampfox

swampfox New Member

I have used the 50/50 mix with good results on bleached antlers as well.

8. Jesse Carr

Jesse Carr Get a holt with your feet and stick your chest out

post a pic

9. Dixeelee

Dixeelee Just take them

PA.
    My buddy had the same situation- i used the raw umber stain from V D and it came out very nice

10. first encounter

first encounter New Member

I also have a rack that is pure white, the only thing is, it was shot in velvet, i cleaned the horns of the velvet, and now it has sat for one year to be scored. The rack seems to be a little pour-us. i was wondering if i have to be concerned about the stain soaking in more than usuall. Don't want to goof it up, it's a good friends, scores 236 gross. Any pointers would help Thanks

11. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

i would send this one to LJones of this site and have it re velveted. His velvet work is awsome, and you did say it was shot in velvet.