1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lets see your martens

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by PercaFluviatilis, Feb 8, 2009.

1. RDA

RDA Active Member

Im sensing that!!! LOL! :D

2. juli

juli Active Member

If you look at the bottom marten skull, the lower jaw is not placed correctly in the skull...whatever it is called...hinge...

and the upper skull, the mouth looks slightly open...LOL....

I continue to stick with my 'no teeth showing' and if I ever enter a competition with a marten, I will have a photograph SHOWING that the marten's teeth do not necessarily show...

Juli

3. true, just noticced that. Juli, Your marten looks fantastic!~ You dont need to change a thing. I'm just debating over little bits right now.

4. yukonjeff

yukonjeff New Member

I would have to side with Chickenminer,on this one...I have never seen them exposed,with a closed mouth....also remember,a trapper would be a taxidermist worst critic
    we see them everyday for 5 months out of a year,....and then on the off season as well.

5. PercaFluviatilis

PercaFluviatilis ...I hunt , therefore I am...

OK, back to the original topic. Here is my latest Martes martes. This marten was a roadkill and was quite a mess. But I managed to make a headmount in the knothole. Not very happy with ears.

[​IMG]

6. Vellu

Vellu New Member

Nice work everyone! this is not marten but ....finishing today

7. Perca...
    Very nice ... love that knothole mount ! Seems to fit that guy perfect ;D

8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

rda have entered 2 martens in shows one in state winner(purple) and one in nationals first(blue) both showed teeth also work with ken asproth who is probably one of the best small mammal artists in the country next to winchimuk and he has won numerous multicolor/first/best of shows with marten/fishers(pennant marten) and these all show the tip of the tooth..visited with forest hart who does some excellent work he viewed our work and concurred ......you have to go study live critters rda not pics...when you do this let us know........until then let it rest( ok and whether they hang below the lip line is mute point,I never stated that at all.....just said the tips will show )

9. RDA

RDA Active Member

::) ::) Uhhhh Byrdman,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,There is no one here that has shown a toothy marten.. Youve had trappers thatr handle them all the time tell you the same thing...Im willing to bet you spent hours trying to find a picture to prove me wrong ... Until then,,,,,,,,,,,,,let it rest..... ;D

10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

rda....nope... never looked for any pics sorry.... went to zoo to study live before entering comp with martens ...personal observation,which can sometimes reveal more than any pics......like I said before look from directlly underneath....if your mount cant be seen by a judge from underneath or with a mirror then dont worry about it....you probablly cant find such a picture ...and trapped animals make very poor study subjects due to stress....any way rda all I was doing was trying to pass on some helpful info which others and myself have observed take it or leave it....