1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Was wondering....what was your first mount?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Love2Hunt, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Love2Hunt

Love2Hunt New Member

Just generally wondering what people did as their first mount....and whether you just grabbed the bull by the horns and did it or if you had help?

2. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Started on my own with no help and did a squirrel plastered to a wall.

3. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

read a bunch of books and put a black squirrel together during spring break

4. crawdad

crawdad New Member

Same here

5. rccub

rccub Member

first mount was a eight point buck deer. i had read some books, but that was about it. i actually still have that mount. keeps me very humble. ;D

6. My first was a deer, I'm self taught with a lot of help from here, vid's and books. You can only learn so much from that, you just have to do it, and again, and so on, and so on........ ;)

7. The Ojibwa

The Ojibwa Member

Ohio
    I did a fox squirrel...it came out pretty bad but I keep it as a reminder of how far I've come. I would recommend skinning/fleshing a fresh specimen and then freeze to mount at a later date. When I did it I skinned, fleshed, and mounted all in one day...it was a sun-up to sun-down project. I am proud to say I'm self taught (not saying having a mentor is a bad thing...actually, I wish I had one!) but use this website as your helping tool. To say I had no help is a lie because I use this website constantly...but as far as having someone looking over my shoulder, I did not.

8. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

I've had several mentors since the beginning.

9. Matt

Matt Active Member

I mounted a coon, and my mom and dad still have it at their log home. I see it everytime I am there and I still think it looks pretty good for a first.

10. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Whitetail doe. I had helped hubby with his first ones but had never done one completely by myself 'til one day I got brave and took the doe out and did it.

11. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

my parents have my first pheasant... omg i want it to die

12. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

My first specemin was a pigeon. :)

13. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

haha i destroyed a few pigeons

14. Rabbit.... it was horrible!!!!

15. My first was a 10 point deer I shot. I did a fleming mouth on it, semi sneak. He is in my shop.

16. same here. a big road kill fox squirrel.

17. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Years ago I mounted a cottontail rabbit head mount as my first effort. After a 20 year lapse I started back up and I dove right in with a WT shoulder mount. It was pretty bad!

18. Brando24

Brando24 Member

I was taught by Northwest Iowa School of Taxidermy, Whitetail buck.

19. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Oh my @#$%&* I am biting my tongue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. i think i may know where you going there :D :D :D :D :D