1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Guessing game, who will be the winner

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ryan9289, Feb 9, 2009.

1. ryan9289

ryan9289 New Member

id like to get some opinions on what everyone thinks this deer would cost, i think i may have been ripped off a little but, maybe not...i had this deer mounted before i was a taxidermist and NOW im starting to wonder if it was worth the $$$$$$

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. was the guy drunk when he set that deer up [LOL]

3. I will take a guess of $380.

4. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

Ill say $325

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Whatever you paid it was to much

6. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

$275

7. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Oh well, everybody seems to be a little more critical than me but I think it looks better than average for commercial work. I've seen a lot worse at most state competitions where it would score in the mid 70s. Attention to detail and better finishing could put that deer into a second place. A mount like that should go at the normal commercial rate in your area. I would guess you paid around $400. If there is something you don't like you should talk to the taxidermist who mounted it.

8. I agree. From a distance, I am sure it looks like a nice deer mount. Does it have issues? Absolutely, but you have to deal with it. If you can do better, remount it. I would say being from the northwest, you paid $425ish.

9. Dean

Dean New Member

What's the point anyway, it's over and done with? If you paid for the mount that means at the time you were probably satisfied with it when you picked it up. If you had a problem with the mount you should have talked to the taxidermist before it left the shop. To many factors will change pricing anyway. How long ago was it mounted? 5 years ago every thing was cheaper to buy materials. Competition? What other taxidermists are in the the area? I've seen guys get $600 for a very poor job, and I've seen $375-400 or less for mounts that would pull a professional blue at a show. Location and local income levels? What part of the country plays a part of costs, along with being near big city or small towns with lower incomes. Is there an agenda behind the question you're asking? Is the taxidermist your local competition now? If you feel you got screwed are you planning on using it against him now that you're a taxidermist? Sorry, I just question why you bring it up? Like Rick said it looks better than average commercial work. A little tweeking and it can look a lot nicer.

10. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Apparently average commercial work is a lot worse than I would have thought. It sure doesnt look anything like the work coming out of this studio.

11. jbnf

jbnf New Member

I'm guessing $575.

12. SCT

SCT New Member

I've seen a lot worst from a few people here. I'm guessing $450 but what does it matter?

13. Dean

Dean New Member

Bill, The key word is AVERAGE work. Look at the work of all the people doing taxidermy today for money, both full and part time. I'd say that the above picture is above average work. Many of us don't put out work like that but the majority of taxidermists put out worse. The newer taxidermists here on the forum are all trying to get better and learn to put out better work or help others. The ones that want critiques on their mounts, I comend them for that. It's got to be hard to send their work out for the world to see and criticize and try again. With all the taxidermists this world has a small fraction of them are on this forum. I'd say a majority of the rest of them don't care if they get better, or feel they better than they really are, or think they are above trying to improve, or God forbid take the time to help someone else get better.

14. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

I gotta agree with Rick and Dean. I've looked at alot of websites from "professional" taxidermists that have work that doesn't even look that good. I personally know of two in my city that put out work nowhere near that good. Heck, one has been at this for over 30 years and his clients don't care, if it has their antlers on it they're happy. Both of these guys refuse to improve and think that there is nothing wrong with the quality of their finished product.

Ryan, if at the time you were happy with the finished product then there should be no concern on your end. Don't let the fact that you are now learning about this industry make you second guess if that mount was worth what you paid for it, let alone let anyone else tell you what they think you paid, as they have no idea of the overhead this person may have had to cover.

15. rebel

rebel New Member

i think he mounted it

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Looks like a Dandy Noser job, a thick patch of apoxy sculpt molded by a rubber pad. I would grade it a "C" for what I see around here in my area. Lots of "D" and "E" mounts everywhere. I'd guess you paid $400.

17. craigjw

craigjw http://www.back2lifetaxidermy.com

That almost looks framiliar, I will say $350.

Now tell us, how much did you pay?

18. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Commercial work will rarely look as good as a competition piece...it is what it is, commercial work. You got it, paid for it and hung it in your house. Now you're a taxidermist and better educated and you're looking for flaws. Seek and ye shall find.

I bet you paid every bit of $400 or more for it, and got exactly what you asked for and you were probably happy before your education. Be happy still, or remount it and be happy again.

Personally, I cringe every time I see a mount I had another taxidermist do before I became a taxidermist. But then again, I cringe every time I see a mount I did. I'm trying to improve, but I tend to view things too harshly, I am my own worst critic. I've had master taxidermists tell me that I've done the best work they've seen me do when I show up at a show with a deer, only to still get a second place ribbon...I'm still striving for perfection...but honestly, there is NO SUCH THING as perfection. Even in nature.

I did a wholesale bobcat for another taxidermist not long ago. He came in to get it and I swear he sounded like any other customer. Why do all customers ask "What do you think of it? Does it look alright?" They are only 3 feet away from it, but they have to have my input...geesh. As if I would point out every flaw for them and let them rip me a new one over it. My pat answer is "what a great trophy, congrats again on this one." What I told this taxidermist when he came to get the cat was "It's good solid commercial work. You know how it is, I wouldn't take it to a show, but I'd be happy to give it to a customer." And that worked for him. It's meant for a customer, so we can't put 100+ hours into it...it's gonna get the normal "quick" turn around.

And I'll say it again...it is what it is. You pay for commercial work and that's what you get.

19. ryan9289

ryan9289 New Member

it was a few years back, and i forgot to mention that i cut the stitches out of the top of its head and leaned the rack forward about three inches, i paid over 400 for the mount, but the only thing that confused me was that the majority of the deer leaving the shop looked like they could win an award at a competition...i can just pick out a couple things i didnt like, for instance the bottom lip....well it doesnt have one, instead it has a small piece of epoxy attached to the nose with a line cut through it....brisket is crooked, and I had to brush the deer, apply hair gel, and align the hair to that it looked decent.
    Dont get me wrong, i think its a good mount, and i am happy with it but now that im learning to be a taxidermist i started putting it all together and it just doesnt seem right...
    i was just curious to see what everyone would say, im not pissed off, if i was i would have already taken the deer back.

20. Dean

Dean New Member

Why would you change the antler angle? You altered the mount buy tipping the antlers forward and that changed the look of the finished deer and then you criticize the taxidermist that mounted it after you made the changes???????? The first thing that stood out to me was the high antler position and the earbutts and the way the ears are positioned. Now I know why they are off. You only have yourself to blame for the look you now have. Three inches????? It seems like you thought you knew more than the taxidermist that did the mount. You changed the mount to the way you thought it should look like and not the way it should be.