1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How do you know a tan will last?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Michelle_Nelson, Feb 9, 2009.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Tom, be careful now. Dozier is tanning crows so I don't have a clue about what he's saying now either. LMAO

2. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

George..............Maybe the Iceman used KT lol..............It was frozen and it lasted as long as the Iceman his self,It has nothing to do with the tan as much as the way it was kept.
    As for the Smithsonian Mounts,Are they kept in glass?And a controlled environment?
    What I'm getting at is no matter how it is tanned or preserved,It will only last as well as it it cared for.That is if it wasn't damaged from the process.
    Maybe KT isn't a true tan.Bruce finally answered a question that Ive always looked for and that is a simple test that I can do to see if it is tanned or not.
    So Bruce,If I take a piece of KT hide and Oil it a couple of times and allow it to dry each time to where it is pliable then run it through your washing machine test.Will this prove or dis prove it being a tan?

3. TD

You posted as I was typing.Now I have to go back and read more lol..............

4. George

Tom, some of them are and some aren't. I doubt the ones that are were hermetically sealed. That was the old pickle tan and, to be honest, I'm not sure Brian hasn't overridden those effects with the additives he has in the newer Krowtann product. In those days, I'd imaging the harsher acids were used. I know I grew up using sulfuric acid myself. The point of those mounts and the great work of William Hornaday is lost forever because he just pickled the hides. I know the dextrin based glue was all that was used as well. So I doubt the caveman used any pickles before, during or after tanning. I'm keeping up with Otzi, the glacier man ( http://www.angelfire.com/me/ij/oetzie.html ) as I'm sure that leather has one helluva story to tell down the road. Some time back, Glenn Conley and I discussed the feasibility of using Stop Rot as a preservative on hides for taxidermy. This is an untapped resource that we're just beginning to understand. So in essence, I've evolved as well. If you like Krowtann and it works for you, go for it. If I like JRTS, then that's what I'm using, but I'm no longer sure there's a "right" or a "wrong" in TAXIDERMY any longer.

5. TD

Yep..........I agree............. :) :) :)

6. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

George are you feeling ok? LOL That's what I've thought all along when it comes to a mount on the wall, now leathers for garmets, saddles and such are a different story. I doubt most of what we use for taxidermy would stand up to then.

7. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

Open minded people have the ability to learn.THAT is why i respect what George and Becky have to say!They NEVER bash other peoples method,just give sound advice/opinions.It keeps learning and helping at the heart of what this site was intended to be.kudos!

8. George

hounddoggy, now don't go getting carried away there now. That's what led to that silly assed love-fest posting about me being "negative" remember??? LOL

9. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

hahahahahahaha! I gotcha!!I just wanted to make sure people appreciate the help people like yourself offer.I (we) cant afford to loose you on here!

10. TD

George Negative? Nawww.......Ornery maybe but not Negative lol..........

11. dozier

dozier New Member

George your always there just have to tap into grumpy george once in a while to see if he's still there to. But i agree some tans work its just whitch one do we like working with.

12. TD

Good Answer OS............Thanks...............