1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Infection

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Nate Thompson, Feb 10, 2009.

1. A week ago I ran a dry wall screw through my hand while working on a goose. The next day I had an infection to beat all infections. I was put on 4000 mg of antibiotics on top of the shots I had to get daily. The doc told me one of the only things that could be worse was a cat bite. An appointment was scheduled for the hand specilist but canceled because the infection is finally going away. Everyone please, please, please be careful when working with these greasy, bacteria infested birds, it doesn't take much.

2. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

The day before Thanksgiving I was bitten by my cat.. It was my fault totally.. The day after Thanksgiving my hand was the size of a soft ball and my arm was swollen and streaked to my armpit.. and the pain.. OMG the pain was unbearable...

I was not able to use my hand until January 4th... and to this day one of my knuckles is still enlarged and will not pop....

They aren't joking.. A cat bite is killer.

Jon~

3. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

And, I still see people not wearing gloves when skinning birds ???

4. igor

igor Member

I like to take a glass of wine after work ;) and I'm working in animal hospital... Had several cat bites... Never had any infection... Wine must be helping... just kidding
    Cuts from dead meat can be very VERY bad, especially if it was not fresh specimen.

5. BillinS.C.PA

BillinS.C.PA New Member

should have put some stop rot on it. LOL just kidding.

glad its getting better. I had something similiar on the top of my hand last summer. I was off work for 2 weeks.

6. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

I must be lucky. I've been at this for over 34 years and only started wearing gloves a few years ago. Only once did I get an infection and that was from working on a gator. As for the cat bites, as a kid I rough-housed daily with our cats. I raised them to be predators and they would always attack my hands. My hands and arms were always full of scratch and bite marks. Never got infected. I even played with an ocelot while in the Yucatan. When he got tired of sparring he grabbed my hand with his claws and bit me hard. No infection. "knock-on-wood"

7. wow that is crazy