1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hungry mallard?!?!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by GC, Feb 10, 2009.

1. GC

GC New Member

I have skinned I don't know how many ducks over the last several years and I have seen some full of corn, rice, etc...but this guy wins hands down!!!! :eek:
    I stopped working to get a pic of this ball of rice he had apparently shoved in his mouth not too long before getting shot...I was impressed at the amount of food this little guy had sitting in him. I sat it next to the apoxie sculpt for a size reference, almost baseball size! Maybe I'm just still inexeperienced with birds, but I didn't know they could ingest that much at one sitting....I'm impressed. ;)

2. that's amazing and gross at the same time

3. wow.
    Yep, them are the pigs of the bird world!

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

save the breast meat and cook it all up together...mmmm

5. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

Holy Jenny Craig!

6. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I skinned a wood duck that couldn't had swallowed a gant with all the acorns in him. I was amazed he could still breath. :D

7. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

A good last supper.........

8. The Real Jen C.

The Real Jen C. New Member

What are you bringing me into this for? LOL

9. robolson

robolson www.frozeninflight.com

The most acorns I've seen in a wood duck was 18. All water oak. I'm sure they can eat more than that, though. These were in a hen. I've never seen any other species of oak acorns in the wood ducks around here (southern Georgia) besides water oaks. Interesting...

10. RDA

RDA Active Member

thats nuthin you should see my parrot Max eat half an order of chow mein w/o coming up for air- cracks me up shell have it covering her bill... ;D ;D

11. I still think he is hungry

12. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I skinned a wood duck once that had 62 acorns in it. Now, granted, they were those small pointed acorns found in Texas and I was so fascinated by the amount that I followed the esophagus all the way to the gizzard to get a complete count. Even so ... it was mind-boggling.
    62 intact acorns! No telling how many more there were that had already been ground up.
    Needless to say, that was one FAT wood duck.