1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Badger that is to big-mounted badger pics added

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by MHTaxidermy, Feb 11, 2009.

1. MHTaxidermy

MHTaxidermy (307) 640-2602

I've got a badger that is 2 3/8" eye to nose, 27" around, and 31" nose to base of tail. I cant find a form anywhere close to big enough. I am resigned to having to alter a form but figured I'd ask what is the biggest form anybody knows of. Thanks

2. hidvalltax

hidvalltax Dont travel faster than your guardian angel can go

Re: Badger that is to big

Van Dykes flexform worked for mine

3. MHTaxidermy

The biggest Van Dykes has is 19 3/4 x 24

4. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

I can hear the saws-all already, alter it.

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Yup. Your gonna have to alter it.

6. MHTaxidermy

The biggest I have found is the mckenzie bad-r2, 22 x 27 1/2. But it looks silly with its back legs all splayed out. I dont want to have to try and alter that thing.

7. MHTaxidermy

I am going to get the Mckenzie BD-4, 20 3/4 x 26 3/4.
    And do some major alteration to it. :)
    It will be my first alteration.

8. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

Check the Ken Walker forms at Joe Coombs.

9. MHTaxidermy

Thanks nibjones, I checked, He only has a 19 x 26.

10. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

JUST ALTER IT :D :D

11. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Make sure you order it without wire or rods in it. It will be allot easer to alter without having to cut the rods.
    Ralph

12. MHTaxidermy

Thanks for the tip. :) was a little hard to read, but it helped me alot. ;D
    Whats a tamaraw? From the measurements it looks like one hefty beast.
    Sorry for posting such a question, (not really ;D) but I know there are supply companies out there that I don't know about and I was wondering if any of you knew a bigger form.
    But apparently there isn't and I ordered a form from McKenzie. You'd think they would make a bigger one with all the big badgers that are out there. Maybe you could make a bigger one Wa. ;)

13. Re: Badger that is to big

Mark:
    AAA in Calgary, Alberta has a 29 1/2 incher and Knapton's Studio in Ontario has a 29 incher. They are a bit closer to what you need. Good luck.
    AL

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

The form I have at coombs is only an average female. I have 2 large guys still in carcass cast foam that I use as carving templates. Maybe when copyrights are protected by law up here I`ll get them done! lol

15. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio

For those who haven't altered any forms yet, just start cutting. If you know what you want the finished form to look, it won't be that hard.

I absolutely agree with "wa", I have so many animals to do where my only option is to make a custom body, like my Malayan giant squirrel. Taxidermy can and is done without always buying a form, "that fits like a glove". Where's the fun in that, :D LOL

16. Bob Coughlin

Bob Coughlin New Member

WA,

Thats a hell of a tamaraw. I thought the were one of the smallest of the wild cattle. I believe the Anoa is the smallest. Mark... a tamaraw is basically a miniature water buffalo. I think they are from the Philippines.

17. Re: Badger that is to big

There are several posts on the forum about making forms. Do you still have the carcass? You could cast it, or carve a new body from foam. I carved a form for a snowshoe hare yesterday. They have commercial forms for those but they are boooooring. It is not so difficult and really fun as long as you have the skinned body in front of you for reference. You can make him posed however you like to make a unique and creative mount.

18. MHTaxidermy

Alright Wa and Daniel M, I will admit my ignorance in posting such a question. I altered the form I bought and it was way easier and more simple than I thought it was going to be. If I ever ask a stupid sizing question like that again, feel free to yell at me. ;D

19. MHTaxidermy

Heres some pictures, Let me know what ya'all think. Feel free to critique it.

20. MHTaxidermy

More. I havent done any finish work on it, I just mounted it yesterday.