1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I was able to paint the feet what do you think

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Shawn73, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

so do you guys think i can start doing this for customers,ofcourse after i apply for the federal permit

2. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

here they are

3. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

4. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

just got in some new lights here for taking the pics just waiting for the background to arrive.

5. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Hey Shawn. They look good, but I am no pro. How many birds have you done to get ready for the money birds? Nothing against your mount, but I just cannot get over the look of the hen mergansers. I have seen a lot of pretty ducks and the hen merg. does not make my list. From what I know I think they look good. I also think the feet are awesome.

6. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

actually these are my fifth and sixth birds. i got a video from research and it helped me out alot

7. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

Although this is a decent presentation of the species, It is my opinion that NO ONE should be accepting client work after only a few tries. The experience just isn't there to know how to handle the problems that I PROMISE you will show up. The majority of all client birds have some sort of issues that have to be dealt with. Not having the experience to deal with these can lead to poor mounts or unsuccessful attempts...

For example, just the other day, you yourself was posting asking how to go about painting the feet in this position on the hen I believe. I'm not implying by any means that you are "stupid," or "dumb," for not knowing.. we all have to learn, I am just emphasizing the fact that you (or anyone else) cant expect the seasoned folks here to talk you through your job.. so to speak..

Keep practicing.. you're doing good.. but do it on your dime.. You'll know when the day arrives to proceed forward. Folks here will be happy to help you in anyway... but you're still learning..

Jon~

8. looks great

9. Shawn, if you have to ask, you're not ready. Confidence is the key, and KNOWING that you're ready is what will make you successful. Don't let anyone tell you how many birds you should have under your belt before going pro. It's different for everyone, some take years, some take weeks. Test yourself. Can you mount a bird accurately from a picture provided from a customer? Are you limited to standing birds only? Do you have limitations which will limit the birds you take in due to poses desired?

There are TONS of hacks out there who produce shit. The mount you did is not. How will your next one be? When you're confident of the answer, you're ready.

10. By the way, I'm still learning too. Hopefully everyone is.

11. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

I was just wondering how you guys painted feet in this position, thats all. I thought thats what we all do here, post or opinions and tips to help each other out. I certainly would not take customers work til i was 100% positive that i would produce a qood quality mount. I would just do birds for friends at first once i got the federal permit. Thanks to a couple people on here i now have plenty of birds to do throught out the summer after my deer are done. If i wouldn't of said this was my fifth bird i don't think i would of gotten this reply.

Atwater your right there are hacks out there im not one of those. My dad had a deer done (this was before i got into this) by some guy that has been doing deer for 20 years and the mount he gave my dad was junk, thats just the way some people work. I am pretty confident in my work everyone i show says they like my work and ask will you do mine, but i turned down three guys this year my dad works with cause i don't have the permit yet.

12. jrclmn18

jrclmn18 New Member

Birds look good for a 5th especially for some hoodies. Those guys are tough to make attractive anyday, most the time you just want to trash them half way through cause they stink so bad. My hat is off to you for doing a double on those stinkers. I am also "not a pro" but I think the answer might come when you look at your birds and see YOURSELF paying 200+ bucks for the work that you put out. Look at some of the other fellas work on here (Jeremy, RDA, etc...) I would be excited to get one of their birds back for that price and more, however, I cant justify charging someone for ok work that is not up to that standard or at least as close as possible. It may be a mental thing for me as I have seen some charging taxidermist deliver feathered wads of crap and charge anything more than their work is worth, but I just think the customer and the bird deserves the best every time. Dont get this post wrong, I think your birds look really good, i just wanted to emphasize and expand on the point that others have made earlier. Its totally your call, but checking out some BOTW post may help you along in that decision. Good luck, keep up the good work.

13. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Shawn, I may be wrong about this, but, I think you need your federal permit to even do friends birds.

14. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

thanks, your right i would never charge top dollar there are guys out there that don't charge enough. Lets just scratch that whole thing i said earlier about if I'm ready. Just forget it ill be posting pics all summer long and i will appreciate any criticism

drakeman thats why i turned down three guys this year i would never mess around with the federal goverment

15. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

You are right Shawn, sorry. You said you would do friends ONCE you got your permit. I misread and thought you said you would do friends UNTIL you got the permit. My bad. Keep it up.

16. Hey Shawn, sorry man, I misunderstood your question. Must be oldtimers disease! ;)