1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

making a rug with mckenzie tan

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Jesse Carr, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Jesse Carr

Jesse Carr Get a holt with your feet and stick your chest out

has anyone ever don a rug using mckenzie tan if so how did you do it

2. trophylodge

trophylodge Member

I've done a few bobcats and fox with it. Just follow the directions that come with it.
    When tan is complete, I hang it and let it dry for several days. It will dry pretty stiff, so you have to break it and soften it up.
    I use several methods for this, alternating between each one. First, I'll put it in my tumbler and let it roll around for about 30 min with a few tennis balls in with it. I'll take it out and work it back and forth over the edge of a board to break the fibers. I'll also work small areas between my fingers, bending and rubbing back and forth to break it. I'll do each of these methods several times until it is soft. After that, I'll attach it to felt. This takes a lot of work and time, but it has always turned out good. I will only do this with thin-skinned animals, like the cat or fox, but nothing else. It would be entirely too much work to soften up a thicker hide.

3. Jesse Carr

i was going to do it on a couple yotes and a beaver would that work all right

4. trophylodge

trophylodge Member

I've done coyotes, and yes it will be fine. They are thin skinned.
    Beaver? No way. You will kill yourself trying to soften it up.
    Beaver are one of the absolute hardest to do. The only thing you can really do with a home-tan beaver is tan it, then stretch it in a willow hoop and leave it like that. It will be flint-hard, but that doesn't matter if it's just hanging on a wall.

5. We rugged a home tanned (our personal) bobcat many years ago as an experiment. We broke the heck out of it, oiled it very well but when it dried it was somewhat pliable, but sounds very crinkly when handled. Having a tumbler is the key to successfully using a home tan for rugs, otherwise breaking and oiling just do not cut it when the leather is stretched and dried.

If you are doing them for customers and they are somewhat knowledgable of what a rug should feel like, they will not be happy with a stiff or crinkly skinned rug. JMHO

Kind regards,
    Mary

6. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

After it dries and you break it, run a wire wheel over it to suede the leather. Apply a couple coats of McKenzie leather oil as well. It will hang like a towel.
    Too much work IMO. Believe me!

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Listen to Mary...she is a rugging expert.

8. Jim L

Jim L New Member

I used it on a WT buck. Make sure you thin really well, which shouldn't be too hard on a yote, and don't let it go too long without breaking it.

9. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

She's also not talking about your typical 30 gal. tumbler! My advice is to send out ANY item you want soft tanned/rugged!!

10. livbucks

Try it once out of curiousity, do it twice it's insanity.
    Send it to the tannery!

11. Jesse Carr

alright thanks, maybe i will try it on a wall hangin yote but the rug yote and beaver i will send to the tannery

12. livbucks

The cost will be comparable, but sending it out means no work for you and a better end result.

13. Jesse Carr

yea i figured that but just thought i would throw it out there and see what some seasoned veterans would do or did thanks again i appreciate the responses ill try a wallhanger for myself and send the customers out like i do my bear and other large game