1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pheasant; just the skin

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by basser, Feb 12, 2009.

1. basser

basser New Member

Greetings. I have the bright idea to display a pheasant skin as one might do any mamal hide..that is, flat on a piece of backing wood or such. I have used salt to dry birds, but only to preserve the pelt intact for fly tying purposes. Has anyone done this? besides de-fleshing and drying with salt should I do any attitional "procedssing" to the pelt?
    thanks in advance
    Andy

2. moongast01

moongast01 My first love is God my second is My Wife....

First dont use salt use 20 mule team Borax that you buy in the laundry section of the store.
    Second please post a pics when you are done.

3. basser

basser New Member

should i use the borax dry as I would salt?..I will post a picture.

4. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

yes.

5. Skin the bird up the chest like you normally would for fly tying prep. Flesh off the base of the tail feathes. Then pretty much cover it with borax. You can mix the salt and borax if you wish, but the purpose of the borax is to keep the "bugs" from getting in there. I have a couple like that. I have them hanging on the wall by my fly tying desk, and I occasionally steal a feather or 2 ;)

6. I have done several like that, they make pretty cool wall hangings, all I did was skinned the bird out, fleshed, I took the skull out but left the upper beak attached to the skin, and I also removed the legs, then I treated the skin with borax and pinned to a piece of foam board, I then added pins all over different areas of the skin and used pins to hold the wings in an attractive position, when it drys the wings will stay where they were placed, I wish i had some pics of some that I did but I never thought to photograph them, they were done just for friends..oh I also spread the tail and pin in position to dry.... I suppose you could back them with some felt like a rug but I have never expiermented with that...good luck and hope this helps!!

7. basser

basser New Member

Thanks guys... I will start it tomorrow. Good idea about leaving the beak intact Twiggy...can that also be done by leaving the entire skull in place? Would I peel the skin over the skull to dry and then re-attach it? The underside of the head would not show so perhaps some glue will hold it in place?

Andy

8. I have never done it that way but I would suppose you could, i would then mount the head conventionally, clean the brain out, remove eyes, and flesh all the muscle away, also split the wattles , then you will want to rebuild the muscle back up with clay and install eyes....I have always removed the skull because I want my skins to lay flat, pretty much just to show all the pretty feathers off, I am not sure what you would do with the neck skin at the base of the skull on the bottom where the incision will be as you would want most of the neck flat...and it may look a little funny to have a flat bird with a lifelike head, but l may be wrong. never done it that way before, please post photo's when you get finished, I would like to see how it turns out!! good luck oh I almost forgot, you will dry the skull under the skin, after claywork, I would imagine that it would be hard to pull the skin back over the head after it drys....