1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need help cleaning and repairing a 8 ft Marlin taxidermy'd

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by abridgeal, Sep 14, 2006.

1. abridgeal

abridgeal New Member

Please help

I just bought an old (we think) stuffed/mounted Marlin/sailfish for our beach house. Its awsome but needs to be touched up. Paint is chipping, gouges and have to glue one fin on etc...I would like to know what I should use to fill in the gouges before I paint the chipped areas. I was thinking using spackle then lightly sand it so when I paint it wont be dented...and that noticable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am not interested in refinishing by a professional....but thanks anyway
    AL in MASS

also, I would like to coat the fish after I touch it up and was thinking of using polyurathane - any suggestions

email any suggestions
    [email protected]

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Well it's most likely NOT a skin mount. If it is, toss it in the garbage - lol! You can use Apoxie Sculpt or a similar two part epoxy to fill the holes and attach the fin(s). Use water on your finger tip to smooth the epoxy level. No sanding will be req'd if you do it properly. As far as final glossing, do you have a touch-up gun or spray gun? If not, you might be best off using a can of aerosol gloss like Triple Thick. BUT, practice with it as it's temperamental. And test it on the backside first to make sure it doesn't do anything funky to the mount (You never know what somebody else used on an old mount). The glossing part is actually probably going to be the hardest part to lay down properly. This is one stage of the ballgame where you might want to fork out the cabbage to have a pro do it. It shouldn't cost that much...

3. den007

den007 Active Member

As Marty said......be prepared for some funky experimentation. I tried this on a sailfish from Mexico and it took me a long time to figure out exactly how it was constructed. Evidently, the real bill, tail, and a slab of skin were used. The skin was stretched over one side of a wooden form. Sail was made of chipboard and wooden slats. Paint was chipping off all over in big chunks. I thought I had it all off, and tried to seal it. There were interactions between the tropical wood oil and something in my sealer which made the paint blister. Oh, it was fun! I would not attempt that again unless the form was fiberglass.

4. FishArt

I had a similar deal Dennis. Not as bad as yours though. I think the one I "restored" was plaster or something of that nature as it wasn't the skin and it wasn't fiberglass. It WAS old - probably late 70's. Real bill, tail and fins. Looked like an easy job. Customer got a great deal for $100 bucks! I had about $25-$30 in materials into it and about 6-8 hours. Had the same "bubbling" and had to keep sealing it and sanding it until that stopped. Lessons learned with that one! I was afraid to gloss it with anything laquer based so I ended up "glossing" it with basecoat sealer - lol! (It still looked way better than when it came in)...

5. den007

den007 Active Member

Yup, I fixed things too. Give me enough epoxy and bondo and I can take over a Third World nation. Trouble is, I gave the guy my "nice guy" quote on pricing and ended up paying myself Third World wages. Never again!

6. FishArt

Yeah, I think the next time somebody with one of those things asks "what can you do for $100 bucks?". I think I'll tell him for that I'll transport it to the DUMPSTER - lol!