1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Zillions of tiny air bubbles in my Arp 3 d bass.

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Capt. Bryan, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Capt. Bryan

Capt. Bryan New Member

Got to painting today as per the instructions I antiqued the fish, so far so good, Right?
    Wrong................. :'( I put on the base coat of white pearl on the belly and was greeted by a zilllion, no wait TWO zillion tiny bubbles(Don Ho would have liked it anyway)? Not what I wanted to find at that stage :-\
    Off came the paint and on went the spot putty :mad: I bought this as a time saver, now I had to reprime and putty just like I do on my"old school" repro's. Not happy, and the were some other defects that cropped up.

oh well you gotta try stuff, Right? I may do another one just to see if they are consistantly problematic.

Anyone else have this issue?

2. Yes this has been a BIG dissapiontment for me too. The fish in genereal aren't that bad BUT the air bubbles seem to be getting worse. :mad:

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

DougP had the exact same problem. AND, he too didn't notice it until he started hitting some whites. Mostly in the head area I guess. I've used one LM Arp repro so far and there were some bubbles in the head too, but not too bad. Mine had an okay position, but most I see IMO are not very natural looking. For LM and SM bass, I try to go either LCR or New Wave. I'm not sure what kind of selection Wynia has right now. I like Fisherman's Tale's blanks, but Dave doesn't have much selection in these two species. He's got a lot of other nice stuff though. And many new "exotics" available that aren't listed (Josh!) I guess as he's been doing a ton of nifty museum work. I've been pestering him to get a few LM and SM blanks going, but I don't blame him. He's doing very well with the museum work and it sounds very interesting. Kudos to Dave for landing such a sweet gig!!!

4. Hey, I just got a LMB from Josh last week and it is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!! It is closed mouth but he did a killer job. I know he's an "ODD" fish guy but he does awesome game fish too. I'll post it up when I get some pics.

5. FishArt

I think closed mouth bass look cool Travis. Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever had a request for a closed mouth replica! Maybe if I had one in my display room it might help though. I see Josh does have a fair amount of blanks available now and I'll have to try one - one of these days...

6. LOL My customers don't want closed mouth either. I guess thats why I like them so much. But for real if your looking for a GOOD one check with Josh about the one he did for me. That dude is SAWEEET!!!!!! Nice fat belly too.

7. FishArt

I really like that CM Striper of yours Travis. Not only a cool looking blank, but a beautiful job as well. If I'm not mistaken that's a Fisherman's Tale blank??? (Or New Wave???)

I honestly think IF I did have a CM blank or two in my shop for customers to see, more would want them. I'm just too cheap to invest too much money into display specimens! Heck, with the way customers have been blowing off picking up their fish lately, I have an on-going, changing display room of customer's mounts - lol!

8. I'm glad you like it Travis.

Here is a pic of the Bass.
    This is a copy I cast for myself and still early on in the painting stage, that's why I took B&W pics. lol I hate showing fish in progress. :D

22" fish
    [​IMG]

I think its funny I hardly get any requests for open mouth fish.
    It fact I kinda want to do an open mouth one now. lol I have some Ideas that would be fun to try.
    I only have my fish on display and most of them are closed mouth.

I really think the display is the issue here.
    The customer buys what they see, because most cant picture what they cant see.
    Like it or not we are the artists and we all have a gift of being able to picture things finished in our heads, most people cant do this. therefore they order whats in front of them.
    Its the same reason they put photos on the menu at dennys ;D

Oh and the bass in the picture.
    Its not painted on the backside and only will get one eye.

Discuss
    ;D

9. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

First of all, had the same issues with Starfish and airbubbles. Has anyone tried to return thier Arp's? Just curiious. I have a starfish blank that I paid for sitting in my shpp that I thinks gonna have to go in the trash cause it s too bad off. Very sad and expensive.

As far as closed mouth, I have several that I display and people love them, different and natural. Love the closed mouth fish!!! Is this a photo of Joushuas blank? Sweet.....

10. So here is a question.
    What are these "New" fish cast out of? I am betting plastic and not polyester resin.
    Bubbles shouldn't form in hand laid up molds like that, but in poured and rotocast molds it can happen.
    It shouldn't but it can.

One tip for you resin roto caster and those who cast in 2 part poly resin or plastics.
    Baby powder!
    Brush the mold softly with baby powder prior to casting and it will help you get better detail and less surface bubbles. It works due to the capillary action of the talc particles.
    I really dont care for the two part plastics as a full casting medium. If done well it works great but it seems like its being used as a time saver and not for the quality.

Yep that's the Bass I sent out to Travis.

I had a student here a few weeks back and we were talking about the closed mouth and natural mouth position trend and he said
    "Closed mouth bass is the new pink"
    Totally cracked me up! I love that phrase.

11. Marty my closed mouth striper is New Wave. Glad you liked it.

Looking good Josh. Your much further along on yours than mine. I'm ready to see it finished in a color pic. LOL

12. Manny

Manny New Member

Sweet LMB Jknuth, I just casted one for myself , because Im afraid of ordering something of lesser quality than I can actually do myself.
    I didnt see this fish on your web sight or I would of ordered it.

Where can I find out everything you have???
    Anyways the one I molded has the mouth just slightly open and is 4 pounder.

Maybe later Ill post a pic.

Manny

13. FishArt

Man, that Largemouth looks like it could swim away Josh!!!! Funny thing is I didn't have much of anything in my "display room" years ago and basically nothing right now since I moved everything downstairs into my newly finished basement (I'm afraid to put nails in the walls - lol!). So, all the work I'm getting is already coming and probably have seen my website/work. Which, does not have any closed mouth mounts. Looking at your and Travis's (along with thinking about making money - lol!), I might have to invest in one of these for my (eventual) display room. I do think CM mounts do look cooler/different and they'd be LESS WORK - lol!

BTW, I had some issues with a couple of Starfish blanks years ago where the scale detail was great in spots and not so great in others. They were very good about returns - no problems whatsoever. Since then I've acquired a few more blanks from them and they've been fine. Most recently I've bought some catfish blanks and they were pretty nice. Definately VERY nice for the money as their prices are pretty reasonable. I've never had any issues with air bubbles though. Pretty weird. I'd give them a call and see what they can do. Again, they back up their products...

14. Manny

Manny New Member

Here is one I just molded and casted following Jknuths Instructions.
    After hearing about little problems and bigger ones with high priced replicas, I believe learning to cast your own is a must.
    I have not yet ordered a commercial replica yet.
    But Im sure ill have to.
    Plus not a lot of suppliers are offering closed mouth, which I believe is the best looking.

15. Manny

Manny New Member

and another

16. nice fish Manny

17. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

Closed mouths rule. Beautiful fish, guys.

By the way, I remember trying to convince a friend of mine to let me mount his speck with a CM. He said no way, that'd look stupid. I couldn't convince him.

18. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Manny nice fish my friend. I've just ordered my molding stuff, I hope I can pick it up quick, really want to know how to do this...