1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

NEED a willing person to tan something special

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by SkullGrrl, Feb 14, 2009.

1. This is a strange request, and my local tanneries won't even touch it.
    My ex-husband had a cat named Ninja, the love of his life. Recently the cat died (very young) and he asked if I would get the cat skinned and the hide tanned for him to have something to remember him by, as Ninja was an absolutely gorgeous Russian Blue. I now have a cat skin (he died of cancer, by the way) and no one to tan it. Home tanning is not an option for me, the boyfriend puts up with the skinning and maceration all over the yard, but draws the line at tanning LOL
    Will anyone do this project for me?
    I can't afford anything too extravagant, and it's smaller than a large raccoon pelt. Sitting in my freezer now, fully salted, for a week.

2. moongast01

moongast01 My first love is God my second is My Wife....

PM sent

3. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

eeeewwwwww..............no you didnt!! meow meow meow meow meow!! oh my da****

4. what's that they say about salting and freezing? I suppose it doesn't do no harm if it's fully salted and dried out, right?

5. WBB793

WBB793 New Member

You can pm me. I have done lots of domestic animals over the years. They are tougher to do than wild amimals. Ushally very greasy!!

6. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

The wildlife gallery did a cat for me.

7. Your ex puts up with maceration but not tanning!!! What a rotten guy.

8. LOL Love that last reply. Actually, the dude I'm living with is the current BF, and he's only got a few limits. Tanning is one cus it stinks and the neighbors would complain, same reason I can't have a beetle tank :)
    Maceration doesnt smell too bad if it's in small containers (old kitty litter bins) and left alone by the outside cat. I know, it's strange but thats how it works.

Thank you everyone, I found someone to help me with the cat!

9. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

THE MORE I READ THIS THE MORE I THINK IT SOUNDS DIRTY!! TAN THAT HIDE YOU WANTS SOMEBODY TAN YO HIDE!! YYYYOOOOOWWWWWW!

10. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Its called taxidermy.. Hides get tanned, things get mounted...its all leather in the end..what difference does it make if its a bobcat or a russian blue?

11. I found someone to help, thanks everyone. My ex is really happy and can't wait to get him back.

12. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

I offered to do it about a month ago for $40.00 if it was prepped,with good ol lutan-f, as you were a taxidermy net member. I never got a responds back? you must have got a hell of a price from someone. :eek: ::)

13. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I've never found a tan that smells worse than maceration tubs and I use Krowtann, it's about the strongest smelling one out there.

14. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Maybe you should get a new BF :p

15. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

Bury the dam thing , give it a little dignity , for crying out loud

16. I got the same price but they got back to me before you did so I took it. I appreciate your offer, and I may use you in the future. I know I've got some other stuff to tan around here! :)

17. Well, I see it a bit differently. You let it rot leave it in the ground. I like to give it a new life afterwards, a second chance where most animals don't.

18. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

I'm not hurting for work, I was just trying to help, but thanks just the same, ;D ;)
    other stuff to tan around there? sick dog maybe...LOL JK ;D