1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Axis deer

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by dsbragg, Feb 15, 2009.

1. This is an Axis that was killed by another Axis fighting this year on a local ranch. I used a form from Precision Mannikin's, and it was the first time I tried one from them. It is an aggressive pose, but I was just going for an attitude, not real aggressive. I really liked the form, was a nice fit all around. Some of the exotics are very pretty, I like working on them more than whitetail sometimes. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. swampfox

swampfox New Member

Nice mount Dennis. They are a pretty deer. My wife, and I saw our first one live on the hoof a few years back near White Springs, a place called Carter's Pasture. I didn't have a clue he had exotics until then.

3. DS, nice Axis. Haven't had the opportunity to mount one yet. Do you have any florida capes not destined for a form? I need a 7x18. I will post in the wanted section. You can contact me at www.tailsandscalestaxidermy.com.

4. BDrake

BDrake Active Member

Nice mount nose looks fresh!/plump

5. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Hey Dennis nice work on those ear butts man you did a good job on them, but I have to say something about the eyes they are a good shape as usual but they look a bit sleepy for that pose they almost do not seem focused on anything. JMHO but it is a nice mount though.

6. Thanks Jason, I was trying to stay away from an aggressive look, what do you think I should have done with the eye's? I'm always looking for things to help give expression. Thanks for the comments. ;)

7. RDA

RDA Active Member

I LIKE IT! ;)

8. jasonb

Well if Ron likes it then maybe I'm wrong it has happened before.LOL Eye expression is something that is really hard to put a finger on and it's even harder to explain.

9. RDA

RDA Active Member

If you notice,,, the shadows are falling from straight above which I believe is giving it the look you speak of, but Im sure its just the shadows doing it.... :D

10. LOL, I know what your saying Jason, I've felt the same on other mounts here and there and fight to get them settled. ::)

Thanks Ron. ;)

11. RDA

RDA Active Member

KKAAARISP EARS!!! ;)

12. ed150

ed150 deer city time

nice

13. Not to bad for a bondo junkie. ::) ;)

14. jasonb

How do you do your bondo? I have been doing them for the last few months and I do OK but still not really good yet.

15. What is your color mix for the nose? Looks really good!

16. Dude you nailed the nose color thats the first thing i noticed,

17. Jason, I use 75% bondo and 25% resin and glass chop. I mix enough for one ear at a time in a 5oz dixie cup, less mess and easy to get into the ear. Prior to mixing I rough the whole ear really well with a wire brush, then clean with lacquer. I then like to use a blow drier with low heat to dry the ear to a point that it starts to get a little stiff, mix up and pore in the bondo/resin and shape things up. Last I groom real well and watch the hair patterns, then press the edges thin as it sets up.

Pretty much like most do bondo ears, the whole process takes about 20-30 min to get two ears done. I have used liners, but i just like bondo. Something about actually shaping them that I like. I do allot of exotics that they don't have liners for, and bondo always fits. :)

J Brown, I used 4 colors, Wildlife Color paints. First I use a thinned flesh color and a brush to wash over the whole nose, then quickly wipe it with a rag leaving it in the low areas. Then I sprayed a light coat of milk chocolate, fallowed by hen brown with a little payne's gray mixed to tone down the chocolate and blend it all together. After that I build the nose up with modge podge then 2 coats of gloss.

18. Matt

Matt Active Member

Very nice work Dennis, nice detail in the earbutts, nice detail in every part of that mount. You get that Pere David mounted yet? Post some pics when you do.

19. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Very nice!!!...I like that Florida vegetation in the background.

DS: You may have to elaborate on a "Dixie Cup", for those who are not in our habitat...LOL

20. Thanks Matt. I haven't come to it yet, but I'm really looking forward to that one. I will post pic's when finished.

LOL! I guess your right Joey! I didn't think about that. LOL :D